Different angle on the HEAT.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
From what I've read here, aftermarket mufflers reduce the heat quite a bit as they dont have the catalytic converters the stock mufflers do, which is where a lot of the heat is probably coming from.

dr1954, I'm very intrigued by the vent cover, I may try this as well.
Aret he cats located inside the muffler canisters? If so, that heat is well out behind the rider, and I don't think it would contribute at all to the heat under the fairing.

Bike
07 ST1300A
Aret he cats located inside the muffler canisters? If so, that heat is well out behind the rider, and I don't think it would contribute at all to the heat under the fairing.
This true, but it can contribute to the overall heat felt by the rider/passenger, or so I've read. The issue was heat felt on the ankles. I believe I've read here that folks that have installed aftermarket pipes, have noticed less heat in that area. But I'm working from memory, so I could be wrong. ;)

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
This true, but it can contribute to the overall heat felt by the rider/passenger, or so I've read.
If you're moving, the air flow is front to back, and there's a lot of it. That's why I can't smell my coolant leak unless I've been idling for a couple of minutes.

--Mark

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
I just pulled off my right lower cowl to take a look at what you did. A couple of observations: the mid cowl has a recess, or a cut back area, where the vent is. So putting a cover here, it appears it would also have to have a lip on it, or bend it so that it also covers that cutout, to be effective. Looking at your pic again, it appears your cover also allows for the cutout in the mid cowl.

The other thing I noticed is with this vent covered up, now possibly more heat will be vented out the bottom of the tip over wing cover. Not sure, but it would make sense.

It's very interesting you reduced the heat on your right foot by 75%, that is a LOT. I would be interested in seeing the backside for how you bent it and attached it. Can you tell if the heat out or around the tip over wing cover is the same, more, or less?
I just spent a good time looking at the complex shape of those vents. Going to be hard to fab. something into it.

Bob,
When I installed the staintune mufflers I noticed less heat on my ST1300. Not a great difference, but noticeable(hey, every little bit helps). I believe the reason is two fold, first the cats get quite hot themselves, second they create some back pressure, which makes the headpipes hotter.

FYI, My 06 is hot! I laid a ceramic fiber and aluminum heat shield under the tank & seat in one peice with only bolt holes and a cutout for fuel lines. (front of tank to rear of seat and on side under seat and side covers) No help to speak of..
I wrapped my headers..a little relief...not much, and after about 2000 miles, instead of a gold color on my pipes and muffler, I am getting blackish spotting...just in the area if transition from round to traingular..... I'm not convinced that wrapping is a great idea-too much heat in the cats can destroy them...
Also put refective silver tape on bottom of seat, and fairing pockets..no change.

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
FYI, My 06 is hot! I laid a ceramic fiber and aluminum heat shield under the tank & seat in one peice with only bolt holes and a cutout for fuel lines. (front of tank to rear of seat and on side under seat and side covers) No help to speak of..
I wrapped my headers..a little relief...not much, and after about 2000 miles, instead of a gold color on my pipes and muffler, I am getting blackish spotting...just in the area if transition from round to traingular..... I'm not convinced that wrapping is a great idea-too much heat in the cats can destroy them...
Also put refective silver tape on bottom of seat, and fairing pockets..no change.
Did you pull the inner cowls?? If you haven't, takes 5 minutes try it! Just zip tie the temp. sensor to the now empty mount hole. Can always reinstall.

Yesterday on the way to work in my polyester (They let heat and cold in like you're in shorts) uniform pants it was 90F and 80% humidity and I was fine. All I've done is remove the inners.

Last edited:
Top Bottom