Distance Sensor - Any available for the various cruise control options

Bike
ST1100AY
Has anyone seen a Distance Sensor add-on for any of the cruise control systems available for motorbikes , I only seem to be able to find them as part of OEM.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Has anyone seen a Distance Sensor add-on for any of the cruise control systems available for motorbikes , I only seem to be able to find them as part of OEM.
As in adaptive cruise control? Aka dynamic cruise??

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I don't understand why anyone would want adaptive cc? We have it on our new car. I never use it. If I am catching up to the car in front of me while on cc, the last thing I want to do is sit there, slow down and ride behind them. If I am catching you, I'm going to be passing you very soon.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Get a lance from one of those medieval rereinactment purveyors, mount it on the front of your bike like the snout on a narwhal, with a mechanical connection to the throttle linkage (or throttle on the handlebars). When the tip hits the car in front of you, it cuts the throttle and you slow down.

It will also scare the pants off everyone else.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Get a lance from one of those medieval rereinactment purveyors, mount it on the front of your bike like the snout on a narwhal, with a mechanical connection to the throttle linkage (or throttle on the handlebars). When the tip hits the car in front of you, it cuts the throttle and you slow down.
Reminds me of Money Train.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
In cars, does adaptive CC also incorporate the brakes, or just the CC 'coast' feature? I suspect the former.

Bike
R1200rt
In cars, does adaptive CC also incorporate the brakes, or just the CC 'coast' feature? I suspect the former.
as much as I know it adjusts speeds and distance. Some also have a advanced collision system but I believe they are separate systems. Theses systems are so intertwined if one system fails it shuts down related systems.

Bike
2010 ST1300
A '19 Toyota Corolla that I rented last year simply used the engine to slow when I approached other vehicles on the freeway. At least, the slowing was gentle enough that I was not aware of any brakes being used. My speed was not so far above the traffic's speed that it would have required brakes if the sensor saw a problem far enough ahead. I have no doubt that were the car in front of me to hit his brakes, then yes, the Corolla's brakes would slow/stop the car. But this comes from a quick read of the manual in the glove compartment, not experience.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
In cars, does adaptive CC also incorporate the brakes, or just the CC 'coast' feature?
The VW T6 company panel van has such over-bread gimmicks...
When someone pulls out like a 3/4 mile ahead of you, the thingy suddenly just HAMMERS them brakes... :rolleyes:
If you've big rigs in the 1st whilst you're trying to cruise by in the 2nd lane, that radar-distance-funnel embedded in the grille constantly "sees" the edges of the semis as "obstacle" and the brain starts the slow-accelerate-slow-accelerate-slow-accelerate... literally pulling your nerve (and those of the drivers behind...)
You could adjust the sensitivity/threshold distance, but even at minimum the thing is just upsetting... your actually grow distracted trying to decipher the display in the instrument cluster, fat-fingering the tiny buttons hidden in the steering wheel spokes...

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
On a bike, a CC alone is enough to lull one into a sense of contentment; I would not want the bike to also distance itself from traffic. All we need is a device to maintain lane position and the bike won't need us to pay it any attention at all.

No, thanks. I prefer to maintain whatever sense of control we like to think we have. The CC is more about muscle fatigue and constant gauge monitoring. I'd like to keep my job as ride supervisor and judge the traffic around me myself.

Top Bottom