DIY jointer planer with a router.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Looks like an interesting use of a router as a planer as well as a jointer planer. Not as good as the real things, but handy (and in this case cordless)

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I watched the video, and was all set to go out and buy a router. Then I remembered that I have a jointer and a planer. Pffttt, I may go buy one anyway.

John

Reactions: Obo
Bike
2004 ST1300
Something happened to video Obo.
I'm trying to image how the router is secured for planing. I can understand the jointing part. Probably the same thing mounted on a table with a fence?
I'd be interested in this because I'd like to process some boards from trees I cut down on our property last year.
Dave

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Something happened to video Obo.
I'm trying to image how the router is secured for planing. I can understand the jointing part. Probably the same thing mounted on a table with a fence?
I'd be interested in this because I'd like to process some boards from trees I cut down on our property last year.
Dave
Seems the owner doesn't allow embedding, so you'll have to watch the video on youtube.

A quick overview is they put the router in a hand plane type body, effectively using the wide router bit as you would a shave plate.

1708528799047.png
1708528869659.png

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I watched the video, and was all set to go out and buy a router. Then I remembered that I have a jointer and a planer. Pffttt, I may go buy one anyway.

John
I have a thickness planer and a jointer planer too, has well as a hand plane and a couple wired routers.. but I need an excuse for a new wireless router. My old Black and Decker electric hand planer caught a nail last Summer and chipped the blades, which I can't seem to find replacements for. I might need a new one of those in cordless too.....

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
That's essentially what I had to do with my router last fall, to trim my cabinet face in order to install our new stove.
It turned out well, but the whole ordeal was a debacle, all in all.
I'll spare you having to relive the process here.
But routers can be very versatile. And they make great sawdust... my specialty.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Norm Abrams (New Yankee Workshop) said you can never have too many routers!! (I have six)
Cool on the planer idea, I hadn't thought of that.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Seems the owner doesn't allow embedding, so you'll have to watch the video on youtube.

A quick overview is they put the router in a hand plane type body, effectively using the wide router bit as you would a shave plate.

1708528799047.png
1708528869659.png
I guess you'd call that a power planer. That's a project in itself.
I've planed a door edge for closing. Everytime I do another project I buy tools it seems. Having some well equipped neighbour's helps too.
Thanks.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Norm Abrams (New Yankee Workshop) said you can never have too many routers!! (I have six)
Cool on the planer idea, I hadn't thought of that.
On one episode of This Old House Norm told Steve Thomas that he had something like 137 power tools. Thomas challenged him to build a something (a book case?) without using any power tools except a brad nailer. Of course Norm prevailed.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Lots of utube videos on using routers as thickness 'planers'. Build framework over rough piece, then just keep setting router for a deeper cut. Handy if have a piece 14" wide and only a 12" planer!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
My brother and I used to joke that “He who dies with the most tools wins!” I surrendered when he got his plasma cutter. This is a guy who designs and builds his own, world-wide unique/one-of-a-kind, zoo veterinarians’ tools to do things like broken/infected elephant tusk extractions. He’s retired from the San Diego Wild Animal Park now, but will be off to Japan soon to treat an elephant in a zoo there.

We are both glad that our little Minnesota town had shop classes along with all the STEM we could take. Not to mention Boy Scouts and the encouragement of our parents to work with our hands. I suspect that many of you here on the ST forums grew up the same.

Regards, John

Top Bottom