Does this gasket need to be changed? (ST1100)

Bike
2002 ST1100
Going to try doing my first valve clearance check and adjustment on the ST1100. There's a slight tapping sound on cold startup and I think they might need an adjustment.

The manual says to replace the gaskets on the cover over the nut that turns the crankshaft. Does this absolutely need to be replaced or can they be reused?

Thanks!

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
If the gasket is still intact and the environment inside the chamber where the crank nut is, then it probably ok to reuse it.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
For valve check, no need to replace that "o" ring or even remove the cover. Put the bike in fifth gear and use the rear wheel to bump the motor around. Cam lobes pointing up is close enuff for this check, no need to have them in exact degree position unless you have to remove/replace them for an actual shim change. Do the check, if changes are needed is soon enuff to remove the cover.

I've done the check many times when no shim change was needed.

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
+1 on what George said.

Bike in 5th gear, rotate the rear wheel, check position of cams. Repeat as necessary.

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1100
Thanks for the tips everyone, very helpful.

George, did you replace the gasket every time as the manual called for, or were you able to reuse it?

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Thanks for the tips everyone, very helpful.

George, did you replace the gasket every time as the manual called for, or were you able to reuse it?
Crab, I replaced that gasket one time (at the most recent timing belt) in nearly 200,000 miles. Both ReSTored (rip) and lipSTick are on their original.

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
i am now re-installing the valve covers after the valve clearance check on my st 1300 and was wondering if any sealant is required on the gasket ?
All motorcycle service manuals I have seen, Honda ST1100 included says to put a sealant on the cam plug corners (half moon shaped part of the valve cover gasket). I also put it on the spark plug tower gaskets. I use Yamabond (Yamaha dealer locally), there is a Hondabond and a Threebond all made by the same company and essentially the same stuff. Pricy, but I like it better than RTV.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Tip I got from John in Gilroy, which I think he got from Larry (IGoFar), soak yur valve cover gaskets in denatured alcohol to return them to soft 'n supple. Worked for me 'n Todd at the Garlic Tech a few weeks ago.

Bike
2006 ST1300
General rule I (and most techs) use is to put a little dab of RTV (or Hondabond) in any sharp corner. You don't need a lot...just a tiny dab. The rubber can't always form into sharp corners. If the gaskets still feel pretty flexible, go ahead and reuse. When we did Mike's this weekend, his were starting to firm up, so I told him if they aren't too bad a price, go ahead and get a couple while he was getting the other parts he needed anyway.

I try to balance whether to replace with how difficult the gasket is to get to. Valve covers on an 1100 aren't bad to get to...so if you do notice a leak later on, they aren't hard to replace later. If it was a seal that takes 2 hours to access, I would ALWAYS put a new one in.

Top Bottom