Dog trailers

Bike
Honda ST1300
I have recently purchased my ST1300 and in the owner manual, which i actually partially read, i found a section in it that states the bike was not designed to pull a trailer. This somewhat killed my hopes of getting a pet trailer for my dog, a 50lb border collie german shepherd cross, in order to take her on longer bike trips with me.
The trailer i've found and really like but is way too expensive for me is the wags pet trailer http://www.wagstrailers.com/.
I was wondering if anyone has gotten a pet trailer for their dog to tow behind an ST, and if there was any inexpensive recommendations.

Thanks

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
There are many that pull a trailer with their ST. The manual probably says the same thing for any motorcycle, more liability than anything else.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
If you look around, aside from the CanAm Spyder tourer, there is no bike (tenhnically) designed to pull a trailer. The manufacturers have to put this in there, as Mellow stated, for liability reasons. Can you tow with the ST? Yes. Obviously, you need to take into consideration the size of the trailer to be pulled and your ability to safely operate/control the bike while towing the trailer. Doable? Absolutely. We have quite a few members here who tow a rather wide variety of shapes and sizes of trailers.

In regards to the trailer, if you were just needing a trailer to throw some camping equipment and extra clothes, I would tell you to go cheap with a harbor freight set-up. However, this is for your dog. Remember that while this trailer is mainly to transport them, it will also need to be capable of protecting him/her in the event of an accident. For me, that's critical.

Not sure of the year of your ST, but if it's still under warranty, unless you really trust whomever is doing the services, make sure you take off the trailer hitch before talking the bike in for service and (especially) for any warranty repairs. In the fine print of most warranties, there is a disclaimer that doesn't cover (any) repairs if the bike is equipped with a trailer hitch. I've experienced this on 2 customer's bikes. One had his claim denied and the remainder of his extended warranty cancelled on the spot. The other was a claim that, although unrelated to it, was denied because the bike had a hitch. Just an FYI.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
In the fine print of most warranties, there is a disclaimer that doesn't cover (any) repairs if the bike is equipped with a trailer hitch.
The Honda warranty doesn't have that clause, although it does exclude damage caused by improper modifications. In other words, if the radiator springs a leak, they'd have a hard time pinning that on the presence of a hitch.

--Mark

OP
OP
Red wolf
Bike
Honda ST1300
its an '03 ST and i'm the third owner, so i don't think i'd have to worry about the warranty being cancelled
i like the style of the wags trailers but they are way too much for me to afford. I was thinking, as a temporary fix, getting one of those dot approved bullet shaped trailers with a hole cut in the top and a mini windshield on it. unfortunately i'm not sure of any place near me that has them, i would prefer to get a used one, since i'd only have it for at most 3 years and only use it when i decide to do a camping trip with my dog and bike.
Either that or i was thinking of trying to find a small flat bed trailer to tow behind and see if i could find anyone who would be able to inexpensively modify it to make it look half decent and be safe for a dog...
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
The Honda warranty doesn't have that clause, although it does exclude damage caused by improper modifications.......
Oooo, good to know and exactly why I put "most" manaufacturers......:D Of course, I wouldn't be surprised to see them consider a hitch an improper modification.

.......In other words, if the radiator springs a leak, they'd have a hard time pinning that on the presence of a hitch.
One of the reasons I mentioned having a dealer you can trust is that , as some of us have seen (thermostats), the dealer can be the weak point in getting a warranty repair covered properly. If they don't, the headaches caused by it can just snowball. I've seen some dealers go to amazing lengths to avoid having to file a warranty claim and get the customer to pay. ("Why?" I have no idea....) I only mention removing the hitch as a caution and that sometimes it's a better safe than sorry situation. Using the radiator example, I can see them stating that (after seeing the hitch) the act of towing caused an overheating situation which over extended mileage stressed the cooling system to the point of failure. You and I know it's bogus and not a proper diagnosis but, as I said, the dealer is the critical link and sometimes it's best to not risk it.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I've seen some dealers go to amazing lengths to avoid having to file a warranty claim and get the customer to pay. ("Why?" I have no idea....)
From where I sit, that's an easy one: customers pay full freight, the manufacturer gets a discount and probably caps the number of hours for certain jobs.

You and I know it's bogus and not a proper diagnosis but, as I said, the dealer is the critical link and sometimes it's best to not risk it.
I've never had a bike in for a warranty repair, but for cars I've found it very handy to have the number for manufacturer's zone office in my cell phone.

--Mark

OP
OP
Red wolf
Bike
Honda ST1300
I was wondering if anyone knows a place here in Alberta that i would be able to get a trailer from? all the links i'm getting from google are for eastern canada and the states

Top Bottom