Draining brake fluid from rear outer pistons

Bike
2004 ST1300
I'm about to replace the SMC, put in new pads, etc. When I try to drain the rear outer pistons, there seem to be a blockage. The vacuum would built-up, but it would not suck any fluid out. Does this have anything to do with the seized SMC? Just in case you're wondering, I did loosen the bleed valve.

Thanks
JC

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It helps to push down, and hold, the rear brake pedal and repeat to help force out fluid.

OP
OP
SpikingJC
Bike
2004 ST1300
It helps to push down, and hold, the rear brake pedal and repeat to help force out fluid.
Thanks Joe, I did what you said, but it didn't help the fluid to come out. The rear brake pedal has no resistance right now. But the vacuum at that bleed valve still builds up and the fluid come out very very slowly. When I press down on the pedal, I can hear the fluid inside the caliper but nothing comes out.

I did remove the bleeder valve completely and verified that it is not clogged..

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
While I am still a novice with the 1300 so I am just saying... there is a procedure for the proper bleeding of the brakes. The 1300 rear brake pedal is used to bleed 80% of the brake system on the bike. You might want to get a "motion pro" bleeder and try using the pedal and the proper sequence. If the rear caliper is seized, then remove it, clean and rebuild, then re-install and bleed the system.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
That would be my Georgia Rep with that very good advice:rofl1:
Thanks Vinny

OP
OP
SpikingJC
Bike
2004 ST1300
I think this might be the problem. After rotate the left muffler out of the way, this is what I found. The stopper bolt is exactly as shown. If it wasn't for the flange attached to the muffler, the bolt would not be there. It looks like the caliper has rotated forward and pinched the brake hose. Right now the caliper is stuck in that position. I take it the next step is to remove the rear wheel and reposition the caliper bracket?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Who did the last tire change? If it was a dealer, I'd take it to them and see if they'll replace that hose as it's structure is probably compromised but being pinched.

OP
OP
SpikingJC
Bike
2004 ST1300
Who did the last tire change? If it was a dealer, I'd take it to them and see if they'll replace that hose as it's structure is probably compromised but being pinched.
When I bought the bike last October, I had a local shop (a pretty big one) replace front/rear tires and flush the brake/clutch fluids. I will have to go in and have a talk with them. Dang it! At least I found the problem and it may not be the SMC. But I'll probably replace that anyway as it's almost 10 years old.

OP
OP
SpikingJC
Bike
2004 ST1300
The shop refuse the take responsibility. Something about it's the owner's responsibility to check the bolt before every ride. Plus, it's been 10 months and the bolt could have backed out due to vibration or other factors. Somehow, I'm not surprised.

I'm planning to replace the hose, since I have everything apart anyway. I guess it's the safer thing to do....

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
yeah, 10 months is a while.. Always inspect what someone else does to your bike, unfortunately that bolt is pretty easy to pass over.. at this point you know more about your bike than they do anyway.. at least you figure it out before it caused real problems on a ride. I agree you probably want to get the smc as well given the age of the bike and that you're digging into it all that much anyway.

Top Bottom