Draining Fuel From The ST1100 Carbs

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Next time you pull the carbs, paint the heads of the drain screws white or yellow. [..]
I removed the handle on my screwdriver and installed a “T” crossbar so I can sight right along the shaft to see the screw head easily.
Two good tip, there, John. :hat3:

I came close to buy one of those T-Handles screwdriver a few times. Every time I put it back there... hesitating.
I was thinking about the better grip. But I never thought in some situation, it's allows to sight along it and beeing able to aim at a deep, difficult to locate, screwhead.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
You know, once you pull the carbs getting to those drain screws are pretty easy! :biggrin:
Since they had not been touched since original assembly (probably in 2001 since it is a 2002) they were a little tough to turn.
But the carbs are off and draining (after I turned them upside down first to get most of the fuel out) so there is one less thing I have to do when I get ready to pull the engine.
I did remove the gas tank as it is only 4 bolts and some electrical connections and I had already pumped it dry with an auxiliary pump.
It makes getting the carbs out (which were a bit recalcitrant to move after 20+ years in that position) a lot easier.
You can also remove the throttle cable bracket on the carbs and get the cables off without fussing with the throttle end of it.

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
Is it a good idea to coat the screw threads with Red Rubber Grease before replacing them. It`s fuel proof . Or can the fuel tap be closed and the engine run until the carbs are empty .They will probably stop the engine before they run dry . Lastly there are flexy screwdrivers but make sure to use Japanese Industry Standard cross heads to avoid damage .

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Don't think it's been mentioned, but those invisible drain screws are not JIS. They're straight !
Yes, which I knew but it sure seems strange with all the other screws being JIS.
And if they have not been moved in 20 years or so, they are very difficult to break loose! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
A very late entry but I thought if Honda had visualised all this they could have organised 4 permanent drain tubes (always full of petrol) with ends that could be opened any time you like . Just open the end of each tube or have them joined in pairs with one release screw each side .

Top Bottom