Driveshaft technical question

Bike
'04 ST1300,
Ok, question for some of you who may have a spare driveshaft so you can take a look. I was looking at spare parts on our favorite auction site when I noticed something strange. In the first link the seller claims "unusual wear" on the rear splines.

So just to confirm I selected another shaft, seems to be the same thing

Something from the spline rolling operation?

An interesting question back to you :

Are you experiencing probs with yours? If yes, maybe explain or point to a thread you've got discussing this (?)

Bike
2005 st1300
This seems to be normal. Have a look at this thread...

OP
OP
Rhubarbray
Bike
'04 ST1300,
An interesting question back to you :

Are you experiencing probs with yours? If yes, maybe explain or point to a thread you've got discussing this (?)

Nope, all good. But I do have a habit of stocking up on common wear parts for my bike. I'm considering them an insurance policy, I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them. And for $20-40 that's a cheap insurance policy.

And I've been on here long enough to know better than re-ignite another Moly thread!!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I have never heard of a driveshaft going bad, now a U-joint will go bad. My ST 1300 has over 260,000 miles and only one U-joint replacement and the original driveshaft.

I have never heard of a driveshaft going bad, now a U-joint will go bad. My ST 1300 has over 260,000 miles and only one U-joint replacement and the original driveshaft.
Agreed. My memory is pretty well shot these days, but I can't ever recall anyone having a major driveshaft issue. If anything it's the final drive gear set (ring and pinion) and / or the associated radial bearings that folks question.

Top Bottom