Dropped the damn bike

Gave the bike a good clean today, rolled it off the centre stand - soapy hands and I dropped it:(

I tried to hold it all the way to the ground and managed to hurt my back.
What really annoys me is it's a long time since I dropped a bike and to do while I'm not even sat on, or riding it, makes me feel a bit stupid

Two things surprised me, how little damage I did (small crack on mirror housing)
and how hard it was to pick up. Had to go and get the wife

Ed

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
OOPS!:eek::

It happens, even with lighter bikes.. DAMHIK....

Did you use the butt on the seat facing away from the bike method, or just plain brute force to lift it?

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
TOT
There is a strategy to picking it back up. Not so difficult if'n you do it right. But it is ALWAYS hard on the heart!!

Bike
ST 1300
Never ever try and hold it up. The bike always wins. I find the best thing is to make sure you get your feet out of the way as it goes over. My first drop it hit my foot and luckily I had steel tipped boots on. There is a cut on the boot where the highway bar fell on it. I'm sure I would have broken at least a couples toes if I wasn't wearing those.

OP
OP
Yeah I used brute force.

I've just read the bum on seat method and it makes sense.

I didn't realise there was a 'dropped' forum:D

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
edzt, not to throw salt in a wound or anything, cuz I've dropped bikes before and it pretty much succkzzz.

but your description reminds me of a vfr tip over. It was parked on a very very slight incline, to the right side. Pushing it off the center stand, standing on the left side of it, as soon as it's off it starts leaning away from me. Absolutely no leverage to help me from having it go over.

That's when I decided never again do I not take it off the center stand without sitting on the bike.

would that have helped in your case? no idea. But it would have helped me for sure.

Regards, fortunately the ST can handle a tip over pretty well, not so the vfr :(

st1300doug

Feel for you! Had to get the neighbor....out of bed...to get mine back up! We both strained hard enough that we uttered new cuss words we've never heard before. I think a GoldWing is easier to get up! I'm so anal now...that it takes me ten minutes to determine what I'm going to do....BEFORE I push the bike off the centerstand! Geeeez! Hope your back gets better.

OP
OP
edzt, not to throw salt in a wound or anything, cuz I've dropped bikes before and it pretty much succkzzz.

but your description reminds me of a vfr tip over. It was parked on a very very slight incline, to the right side. Pushing it off the center stand, standing on the left side of it, as soon as it's off it starts leaning away from me. Absolutely no leverage to help me from having it go over.

That's when I decided never again do I not take it off the center stand without sitting on the bike.

would that have helped in your case? no idea. But it would have helped me for sure

Regards, fortunately the ST can handle a tip over pretty well, not so the vfr :(

Almost exactly my scenario. Hot shower and my backs fine
Thanks for the sympathy guys, I'm glad I'm not alone:D

Bike
ST
STOC #
Gave the bike a good clean today, rolled it off the centre stand - soapy hands and I dropped it:(

I tried to hold it all the way to the ground and managed to hurt my back.
What really annoys me is it's a long time since I dropped a bike and to do while I'm not even sat on, or riding it, makes me feel a bit stupid

Two things surprised me, how little damage I did (small crack on mirror housing)
and how hard it was to pick up. Had to go and get the wife

Ed
Welcome to the club that we seem to all eventually join. Just wait 'til you drop it at a stop light or in the parking lot of a jam packed restaurant. You'll look back on this tipover and say, "Why can't they all be like it. Out of sight."

TXRoadRash

FWDoc
Bike
2008 GL1800
Wait until you mount a GL1800 and it decides to lay down and take a nap! Yowzers! It only happened to me once...pausing while leaving a bank parking lot the street gutter was several inches below the level ofthe parking lot and the street, and in spite of my long legs I couldn't touch down. The wife said she watched my bu*t flash by her face on the way down, but just rode the beast. As was observed earlier, when it wants to sit, let it!

So sorry about your back...been there. :(

Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
Big bikes and retractable gear aircraft have something in common. There are 2 type of riders / pilots.

Bikers - there are those that have tipped over and those that are going to.
Pilots - there are those that have landed gear up and those that are going to.

I am 1 for 2. Always managed to get the gear down, so far.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
I feel your pain. As you can see you've got a lot of company. I too tried to save my 1300 when it went down, in front of my wife while she was on her 1300 no less. Once you pass the point of no return, you're simply not going to save it. Like you, my drop resulted in nothing more than a few minor scratches. Amazing!

John

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
It's a good plan to lay your bike down and pick it up a couple times so you can do it quickly by yourself.

I dropped my ST as I was crossing the US - Mexico border, right there where they ask you if you have anything to declare. Yes, my foot is in a big puddle of oil.

No one there to help. I picked up the bike, got my passport back from the guard and made my way to Calexico.

Uber Embarassing.

But get able to do it yourself and quickly if necessary. You never know when you'll drop it in an intersection ..... BTDT

Top Bottom