Dropped the ST

I was touring the Berskires yesterday and dropped the ST for the second time. I pulled-up to a strange interesection where I had to turn sharp right and stop on a steep slope. I was not prepared for the incline and as the bike stopped the forward momentum nudged it right and it began to pitch, I started to get that sick feeling, knew I was loosing it and yelled to my wife to bail. Fortunately niether of us got hurt. And thank goodness for the tip-over wings; with the exception of a minor ding on the pipe the bike escaped pretty much unscathed.

Within seconds several car loads full of people surrounded us asking if we were OK and offering to help stand the bike up. Very nice folks, it renews my faith in people.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
I was touring the Berskires yesterday and dropped the ST for the second time. I pulled-up to a strange interesection where I had to turn sharp right and stop on a steep slope. I was not prepared for the incline and as the bike stopped the forward momentum nudged it right and it began to pitch, I started to get that sick feeling, knew I was loosing it and yelled to my wife to bail. Fortunately niether of us got hurt. And thank goodness for the tip-over wings; with the exception of a minor ding on the pipe the bike escaped pretty much unscathed.

Within seconds several car loads full of people surrounded us asking if we were OK and offering to help stand the bike up. Very nice folks, it renews my faith in people.
Glad you and the Mrs are ok. Thank God for tip-over wings. :D

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
I feel your pain but I did better. Within seconds I had a police car with lights !!! Nothing like like a disco party when you embarrass yourself in public.

Glad you are OK.

[hoping no one notices the hole in the right wing cover]

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Glad all is well. Welcome to the club.

Someone get this man a Zippo!

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Glad to hear neither you nor your wife was injured. Once your ST reaches the dreaded point of no return, trying to keep her upright can cause more damage to you than your bike.

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed, you've got a lot of company!

John

STOC #
You are not alone! It's very clear why they have tip over sensors and engine-wings. Did you teach yourself how to pick it up before your dropped it? There's a video of a little woman picking up her Goldwing somewhere on the web. I was really glad I did before going on my last tour.

Bike
ST 1300
Bygdawg just put together an order for rear tip over bars and I believe he is still taking orders for a late June build date. Check around the site if you need further info. Really glad your ok.:06biker:

OP
OP
You are not alone! It's very clear why they have tip over sensors and engine-wings. Did you teach yourself how to pick it up before your dropped it? There's a video of a little woman picking up her Goldwing somewhere on the web. I was really glad I did before going on my last tour.
Yes, in fact I had started to lift it up using the technique (doing a right-side lift with the stand down) and it was working nicely when I decided to let the 5 construction workers give me a hand. I have not seen the video posted in this thread before but another one with a lady in a mini-skirt lifting a Gold Wing!

Something to be aware of if it happens to you; I had just tanked-up and when the bike stood up one of the guys noticed fuel leaking from underneath. Turned out it was the overflow tube leading from the fill-neck.

Top Bottom