Dying a Leather Seat

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
There is a whole back story about seats ands bars and pegs, maybe later. This will be about the color change of a Russel Day Long to black.

As an aside, they do matter if the rider was big or not if you go used. My first used was for a big guy, I know this because the one I have now was built for someone about my side and it "fits" me. Shout out to @The Dan

Start by cleaning
IMG_3338.jpeg

Pick your favorite color, mine was black.
IMG_3339.jpeg

One Light coat, its pretty, not for this project though.
IMG_3340.jpeg

Two coats rubbed in.
IMG_3345.jpeg

After two more wet coats.
IMG_3350.jpeg

It's drying and then I'll need to buff and seal.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
That's awesome, and I'm amazed that the white thread stitching didn't turn black!
The thread still looks mostly black even in the last picture.
How does that happen?!

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
That's awesome, and I'm amazed that the white thread stitching didn't turn black!
How does that happen?!
Thank you, It stayed the original color in the first few coats as I did not have enough on the applicator. It was a nice look when early on as light brown, as I added the wet coats it flowed into the seams and turned them black, it maybe the lighting.

Bike
2010 ST1300
How does that happen?!
When you stain something (leather or fabric) the color is absorbed into the material. If the stitching is a synthetic, like nylon, it might not absorb the stain and will look the original color. Even when the stitching or parts of the material do not absorb the stain, you can usually get enough to stick on the first or second coat so that subsequent applications will cover the stitching and it will match the rest of the material being stained.

There is a whole back story about seats ands bars and pegs, maybe later. This will be about the color change of a Russel Day Long to black.

As an aside, they do matter if the rider was big or not if you go used. My first used was for a big guy, I know this because the one I have now was built for someone about my side and it "fits" me. Shout out to @The Dan

Start by cleaning
IMG_3338.jpeg

Pick your favorite color, mine was black.
IMG_3339.jpeg

One Light coat, its pretty, not for this project though.
IMG_3340.jpeg

Two coats rubbed in.
IMG_3345.jpeg

After two more wet coats.
IMG_3350.jpeg

It's drying and then I'll need to buff and seal.
Great job. Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom