Electrical Connections??Ready to wire bike

Bike
2004 ST 1300
Take a look on Amazon.com. I purchased a trailer wiring kit from them last winter and it was easy to connect and it did isolate the wiring from damage. I will check and see if I can find more information.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
With ABS brakes I was advised to use a isolater connection for trailer
Okay, my curiosity has been piqued. What is it about the ABS brakes that a isolator is recommended, but not necessary for the non-ABS brake bikes?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Okay, my curiosity has been piqued. What is it about the ABS brakes that a isolator is recommended, but not necessary for the non-ABS brake bikes?
Actually, it's recommended for both. You don't want the additional trailer load of lights inline with your bikes lights, you could blow a fuse and have no lights at all. So, an isolation relay will power those lights from the battery and trigger them via the relay from the bikes' wires so there's much less of an impact on that system.

For ABS bikes, I don't know if it's been proven this will cause them to function improperly or not...

For me, any trailer pulling on any bike should include an isolation relay/harness.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Thanks for the quick reply Mr. Mellow.

I appreciate the desire to isolate the trailer electric circuits from the motorcycle electric circuits, certainly a good idea for the very reasons you've mentioned.

I was just puzzled by the idea that an ABS equipped motorcycle might have a greater need for electrical isolation than the same motorcycle without ABS brakes. After viewing the wiring diagrams included in the 2006 Setup Instructions, it appears that both motorcycles (ABS, non-ABS) share the same brake lamp circuits, so I was curious to know the basis for the suggestion.

Bike
GL1800 2015
+1 on EC Iso. Relay!
You will notice that it will probably reqire a 5 wire plug for the trailer....
EC has a 5 to 4 wire adaptor available (the Hayes one won't work!)...or just add
seperate turning lights to the trailer....

Bike
GL1800 2015
I don't know..It may...but if you try it...make sure it has a fuse before the Batt.

On the bottom it says "What is low side switching?

Common "High Side" systems switch 12 volts between the vehicle's battery and signal bulb. "Low Side" switching systems have 12 volts at the bulb at all times and ground is switched to activate the signal."

I think that with the bke's eletronics, you could get "electrical bleeding" through that thing...and when you hit the turn signal,you may see some "dimming" on the rest of the lights????
Personly, I would put a ground loop Isolater on it to prtect the bike!

Top Bottom