Embarrassed to Post: Need to sell the FJR1300 I just bought and damaged.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
I guess I'm looking for commiseration, and other's exposure to my problem on the off chance a miracle FJR buyer could be found. This thread is for all that. I'll post a for-sale thread soon.

I impulsively purchased a 2018 Yamaha FJR1300 on 3/29/2022 for the current market's overvalued used vehicle price. I had some misgivings about the 2018's matt finish but talked myself into the purchase anyway. Well, after living with it for a month, I really don't want it. It's just not for me. I like to clean and wax my bikes. The bug-gut removal is just so much easier with a wax layer above the paint.

On top of the matt finish discomfort is the fact that a guy by Grand Rapids, Michigan has the exact bike I really wanted for sale right now. A 2016 with suspension upgrades and tip-over bars and stuff I was going to want to add to the 2018 already installed and dialed in.

So, I put money down on the 2016 and will pick it up this Saturday. Yay?!? :confused:

I'm going to lose my shirt on the 2018 but I'll end up with the bike I really want and perhaps, hopefully, a net lower end cost as the 2016 with 60,000 miles is some thousands less than the 2018 with 6000 miles.

So here's where the miracle buyer comes in. Friday night through Saturday I'm going to do this loop to pick up the new bike and swing through Marquette, MI to bring my first-born back from college for the summer. If I were to find a 2018 FJR buyer somewhere close to the run down to Grand Rapids, I could drop-off that bike on the way.
MiTrip.jpg

Look, I know a buyer isn't going to be found right now. What will really happen is:
- Pay off the loan to get the title cleared.
- Put on the new plastics to fix my tip-over cracks.
- Post a for-sale add that takes a month or more to attract a new owner.
But, I thought I'd put this notice out there anyway, just in case. I'll wait until I get the clear title and new plastics before I post in the for-sale section.

What would I need to get for a quick sale right now? Well, KBB says $14,420 for "Typical Listing Price" which is just under the $14,999 I paid the dealer. With only 6000 miles, and the currently tight use-vehicle market, I'd like to stay at $14,999 for the base. No charge for the $299 "dealer prep" (that included new oil and filter, safety check, etc.) or the transferable 3-year warranty that cost me $980.

Then subtract $1499 for the $500 damage I did cracking the main cowling and side panel when the bike tipped over against my truck's bed rail. New buyer can buy the plastics ($520 from motosport.com) and fix or leave the cracks and keep the discount.

I guess I'd need $13,500 and a lot of trust from the buyer to get a deal done now.

Trust because I don't see how I'll get the title cleared before Friday but I'm working on it.
I popped for the 3-year warranty due to only 6000 miles on the odometer. That just wasn't enough miles for me to feel comfortable that the extended warranty wasn't needed. That goes with the bike to help give the new owner confidence. Warranty has a $0 deductible and full parts and labor covered for repairs.

All recalls completed including the 2nd gear and the EEPROM update.

I'll get the bike plastics replace, get the title cleared and post it for-sale in a few weeks with a $15,500 asking to try recouping half the warranty cost. I'll order the plastics this Friday if nobody wants the ride as-is.

Thanks for listening.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
You have lots happening there. I hope they all turn out favourably for you.
D

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
As a former ST rider, now riding a 2016 FJR, I wish you luck. Great place to list this, as I'm sure many ST riders are looking for a more modern ride these days - and the FJR checks all the boxes IMO.

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
1400 miles in 29 hours and I now have two FJR1300s in the garage.
1651442443625.png
The 2016 got home safe and sound with no problems getting it on and off the truck. Now I need to get to repairing and selling the 2018.

I decided I'll post the 2018, once repaired, here and at FJRowners.com at a $3500 loss ($13500) and try FB-marketplace at $14750 after a few months if I still have it. I'm still putting a $1000 value in the transferable 3-year warranty.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

Top Bottom