enclosed trailers

I am shopping for an enclosed trailer to haul my ST.... why? Back problems preclude riding hours to get to nice roads. So are there any trailers to look for that have higher quality of manufacture, and any tips/ pointers to look for or avoid?
Thanks

TPadden

Tom Padden
I am shopping for an enclosed trailer to haul my ST.... why? Back problems preclude riding hours to get to nice roads. So are there any trailers to look for that have higher quality of manufacture, and any tips/ pointers to look for or avoid?
Thanks
If you alreaady have back problems - an open trailer is MUCH easier to load and unload (read tie down and untie)......... unless you are worried about theft ............. I've helped friends arriving and leaving the Ozarks, my back is fine :D.

Tom

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
An enclosed trailer works well for us but they are more expensive than an open type. We have a Pace 8.5' long and 5' wide x 6' high and it just accomodates the ST with the top box on. Just make sure you get one with a full width ramp door that will handle the weight and you can ride the bike up into the trailer. Also a good wheel chock and lots of anchor points on the floor are needed. We hauled the ST to AZ and back last winter without incident so this is the only way to go IMHO when you must trailer an ST.:eek:

OP
OP
thanks for the input, I have seen some trailers 6' x 10' and some 6' x 12', not sure if there is an advantage to go longer. Height is an issue as well, since some 5' x10' trailers are only 5' 6" high and the door opening is too short for the ST with the rifle shield. Do the wheel chuchs provide significant advantage?

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
thanks for the input, I have seen some trailers 6' x 10' and some 6' x 12', not sure if there is an advantage to go longer. Height is an issue as well, since some 5' x10' trailers are only 5' 6" high and the door opening is too short for the ST with the rifle shield. Do the wheel chuchs provide significant advantage?
I should have mentioned that our trailer has the optional higher roof which gives enough clearance to ride the ST on board as long as you remember to duck a little as you go through the door opening. The wheel chocks hold the front wheel and prevent it from turning so yes they provide more security and the bike will not move around. I also have 6 anchor points on the floor which hold things tight using ratchet type tie-downs.
I also use a canyon dancer on the bars as added security but not cinched too tight as the bars are rubber mounted.HTH

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
The main reason I went with a larger trailer was to accommodate 2 dual sports in the future. I also have to move small amounts of furniture on occasion and the trailer doubles as a cargo unit. Here's my set-up.

In freight trim the Condor chock folds flat and can be stored against the front wall. It attaches to a steel bracket bolted through the floor to a reinforcing steel plate. The bracket only sticks up about 3/4" and is about 2"x4" in size.

The beauty of the chock is that you can ride the bike into the trailer, and then dismount and set your tie downs. It's a single person job.

The tipover wings provide a perfect tie down point. The floor cleats are positioned to provide a forward pull.. The front wheel is held securely by the chock and a light cam lock strap is run rearward from the grab handles on each side to stabilize the rear. On a long trip I'd probably double up on the tipover wing straps just for piece of mind.

Here's the ST ready for transport. This is much more elaborate than most riders would need but I'm looking at hauling the bike south for a few months during the winter in a year or two. I wanted the room the work on the bike if needed.

New, a trailer with the heavy ramp door and the reinforcement for the floor cleats and wheel chock, is pricey to say the least. I was lucky and was able to find a used one. It's a 6'x12' with a 6' height, single axle. One thing I recommend are the rear corner jacks. These allow loading and unloading when the trailer is not hooked up to a tow vehicle. HTH

OP
OP
so, that looks like a great way to transport the ST. THanks for the pics. Another question, trailer colour... yours looks black, so does it get quite hot in there? Do other lighter colours keep the space at a lower temp.?

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
so, that looks like a great way to transport the ST. THanks for the pics. Another question, trailer colour... yours looks black, so does it get quite hot in there? Do other lighter colours keep the space at a lower temp.?
I swear you could bake bread in there on a hot sunny day if parked. My only regret is that it is black.... but that's what was available in the used market. There is a forward facing scoop vent at the top front corner and an exhaust vent at the lower rear that should do a good job once under way. IMO white would be the best color. If I ever replace this unit with a new one it will be white.

Bike
1997 Honda ST1100
STOC #
I recommend that you look for an older Chariot trailer; don't know if they are still in production. They are fully enclosed, have a strong ramp door, have the rear jacks that allow loading bike without trailer attached to tow vehicle and also have the torsion axle for great ride. I had one for my GoldWing and still use it for my ST1100. Great unit. Mine is their 6 X 10 unit, streamlined and all fiberglass with 3/4" ply floor glassed over a steel 'T' frame. Empty weight is only 700#. Occasionally one or two come up on eBay.

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
can you tow an enclosed trailer with a small car?

I have thought about getting one for winter get aways
Tongue weight should be 15% of total. Last post listed trailer as 700 # plus 730 # for the bke, 1430 # total. This means you should have about 215 # tongue weight. Ask someone that is 200 # to stand on your bumper and see how much it sags. Air shocks could solve this.

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
I have hauled my Pace enclosed trailer loaded with the ST and the tounge wt is about 160lbs and GW of 1600lbs. My V6 Toyota Camry can just handle this trailer with a class 1 hitch rated at 200lbs tounge and HD cargo coils in the rear.

Bike
'08 Varadero
STOC #
Regarding the small car thing. I have never hauled my ST but I do regularly haul 2 500lb snowmobiles in an enclosed trailer using my subaru impreza
no problems other than it takes a bit to get going and some extra stopping distance. Mirror extensions may be required to see past the trailer

Top Bottom