Engine vibration/Buzz on a once smooth ST1300

DWG

Waiting to see if there is an answer with this i think i have the same issue

Waiting to see if there is an answer with this i think i have the same issue
Will update with progress as time goes on. Should hopefully be on the right trail by the end of the week. If all goes well (or not) I'll create a thread with the findings.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
18000 km on tires. That would be three rears for me and two fronts. That's my guess for a source...but hey I have been known to be hard on tires.

7500 rpm?! I don't think my ride has ever been that high. Maybe one night doing stupid fast coming home from work, but that would be the only time for me. ECM 'limiter' keeps me below 4k in 5th, which is plenty around here. Can't imagine what the vibration is like at those revs...but will watch here for what you find.
7500 rpm in 5th that'll do it too. I've not experienced this ECM limiter

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Appreciate the reply. I've done the following:
-New plugs correct gap and torque.
-Tb sync
-New bridgstone t32gt's, got rid of the Metzler z8's that caused a very noticeable vibration at certin speeds. Well documented on this site.
-New front and rear bearings using nsk sealed units. Correct reinstalation procedure was followed using 2008 setup guide. Everything torqued to spec.
-axles lubed with thin layer of m1 synthetic grease.
-clutch fluid flushed per manual.
-All brake calipers cleaned, lubed, inspected and reinstalled per instruction in repair manual and on this site. System blead. Get two rotations on rear and two on front with solid 'push' on the tire.
-counter balance adjustment done.

Have put about 400 miles on this year so far, running 91octane non oxginated gasoline and redline si-1 to help clean out the system.
Went with Motul V300 10w40 in hopes the ester based oil would help.

I still have vibration and a rhythmic thump that is directly related to speed at which Im travraveling. While stationary in the garage, st on its center stand, a thumping can be felt in the handlebars that dissapears with the clutch lever pulled in. It also increases and decreases with rpm. Thinking the next step is to inspect the shaft drive assembly. possibly transmission output shaft (really hope its not ) 2004 with 23,000mi on the clock, just picked it up April 7. Previous owner had not ridden it in over a year, swears it was "smooth as silk" when he parked it.
That does sound like a possible u joint starting to fail.
Any chance yours does/sound like this?

That does sound like a possible u joint starting to fail.
Any chance yours does/sound like this?
Appreciate the clip, Mellow. My drive is exhibiting the same noises that you are showing, but less pronounced. I viewed lash at ~2in. Time to get the rear tire off for disassembly and inspection.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Appreciate the clip, Mellow. My drive is exhibiting the same noises that you are showing, but less pronounced. I viewed lash at ~2in. Time to get the rear tire off for disassembly and inspection.
Good to catch before it gets worse... if you spin your rear wheel and after it stops it goes back the opposite direction for small bit then it's a good indicator the u-joint is binding.

Your sig shows just 23k miles so one of the lower mileage bikes w/u-joint issue if that's the case but u-joints can last over 100k miles or not, mile was at 50k and many here have over 100k w/no u-joint issues but still change out as part of preventative maintenance.

Got all the tupperware off this past weekend and started investigating further. With the help of Igofar:WCP1: we tracked down a weeping water pump and nearly empty reserve tank. This could be the root cause of my vibration issues as it looks like the mechanical seal has failed along with who knows what else (bearing could be trashed). Should note that I picked up this new to me ST April 7 this year with 23,000mi acrued by the previous owner so it's been in my posession for a short time. Parts are on order and should hopefully be delivered by May 7. Will continue to update with progress.

Attachments

Top Bottom