Ete tu Brutus...

Bike
2010 ST1300
First of all, have you ever ridden a camel, not the most pleasant thing to ride....
I suspect camels are an acquired taste. The first time I rode a horse it was not comfortable, but cowboys spend hours if not days in the saddle, and I expect nomadic types ride their camels for similar long distances.

Secondly, I don't think Honda has abandoned us. Just following the money.
Semantics. If Honda discontinued a model in order to sell higher numbers of other bikes, they abandoned their faithful owners. Singer - sewing machines - offered parts for machines that were 50 years old.

I can't imagine slugging a 1200cc bike through a bush trail or even in mud or sand.
I agree, but I've seen videos of BMW's team of women riders on their GS's do things I would never contemplate. I suspect its training, skill, and practice. On a ride with a mc club in Tuscarawas County, I watched a 20 something guy maneuver a steep, muddy, rocky road on a big KTM with aplomb, after half a dozen of us had just turned back. We were on DR's, DL's, and a few other 'adventure' bikes. Again, skill, practice, and probably some talent.

Honda still makes amazing motorcycles.
No argument.

And finally, if your using 90 percent of your litre bike on the road, you are on the road to purgatory,
Aye, but one of the things you said in your original post - besides likening our ST's to Camels* was the FJ is faster. No dispute there, but what's the point of using that argument if you will never use the machine to its full potential? Most of us are not capable of using our bikes that way, and I'll go to the head of that line. I prized my ST for its other capabilities and manners, but could care less about its top speed.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
And finally, if your using 90 percent of your litre bike on the road, you are on the road to purgatory,
Aye, but one of the things you said in your original post - besides likening our ST's to Camels* was the FJ is faster. No dispute there, but what's the point of using that argument if you will never use the machine to its full potential? Most of us are not capable of using our bikes that way, and I'll go to the head of that line. I prized my ST for its other capabilities and manners, but could care less about its top speed.
Some times it's not about total HP or topspeed, it's what the curve is and where it comes in at... there's TQ too and how it's curve plays in. My C14 wasn't street racer fast (~150hp and 102ftlb), but it was amazing at highway and rollon speeds... where you needed it touring.

It's not about topspeed... it's about the HP and TQ curve. Just something to think about. :thumb:

OP
OP
Northerntour
Some times it's not about total HP or topspeed, it's what the curve is and where it comes in at... there's TQ too and how it's curve plays in. My C14 wasn't street racer fast (~150hp and 102ftlb), but it was amazing at highway and rollon speeds... where you needed it touring.

It's not about topspeed... it's about the HP and TQ curve. Just something to think about. :thumb:
Now here is someone who understands.
It's about rideablity. The ST was/is a incredible bike. But it's like comparing a pick up to an SUV. Both very capable machines in there own respect. Just different.

Jevers

Jevers
Bike
2017 Yamaha SCR950
Regarding the camel analogy . Do you know why the camel jockeys wear robes and not pants? It's cuz a camel can hear a zipper from a mile away!

Top Bottom