Even my Tipover Couldn't Spoil Sunday's Ride

Byron

STOC #
Saturday I did my 48K service so Sunday was for riding.

I was doing some backroads up around Lake Cachuma. It was part way up Painted Cave Road when I came to a really tight uphill hairpin right hander. I pulled in the clutch, hit the shift lever for first gear and let out the clutch to make the turn. I was already slowed way down and leaned to the right when I learned that the shift didn't make it to first but stopped in neutral. Instead of trying to shift and go I grabbed the brake to stop. That was all it took. :eek:

Because of the lean to the right I couldn't hold it up. :( It went over slowly and as it did it gently tossed me off the right side into the apex of the turn as it slide back slightly after I could no longer hold onto the front brake.

One moment I was atop the bike riding it, then next I was doing a roll to the right and then standing there looking at the bike on its' right side in the roadway. There I was frustrated that it had happened yet glad it was an ST1300 and not another brand or model, all at the same time.

There was a bicyclist that was stopped in the turnout on outside of the bend taking a brake and a gentleman that had come up the hill behind me that helped to get the bike back on the tires. I'm really glad they were there. Frustrated with the fall I didn't finish the ride to the top but the good thing was that it was still rideable.

Damage seems to have been contained to the right mirror housing, tipover wing and fog light mount mounted on top of it, and some scuffs to the right bag (non painted area only). Looks like it's time to place an order with Service Honda again!

If you're a big believer in

Yin and Yang,

my bike is now well balanced with 2 on the right side and 2 on the left side. :D

Lesson to be learned:

Have shifts done before entering a turn.

Top Bottom