Ever see inside a bad SMC?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
The following video shows a fellow working on his ST1300 brakes due to a rear drag issue.

I can't condone his methods but share the video so you can see an example of how an SMC goes bad and you can't see it from just looking at it when assembled.

It's highly recommended to REPLACE a bad SMC and not to repair it with the repair kit, as it often fails again after a repair. If you choose to buy the repair kit, I hope yours isn't one of those statistics. :)

I enjoyed just seeing how the SMC fits together and how it should work. There's not much to it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Thanks @Igofar. Love that cut in half view to show the scoring.

Hope the video (if you watched it) didn't make your head hurt too bad. It made me shake mine and I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as you are!

Bike
2005 ST-1300
Is it possible to pull the boot out and see down into it to find if you are about to have a problem?

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Is it possible to pull the boot out and see down into it to find if you are about to have a problem?
I'd say not really really. If you could get the boot up, you might not get it seated again, and any damage might be underneath it in the piston area itself.
You normally would do the rotate rear wheel/activate the SMC by hand test and check for the back brake to stop then release.
I guess you could remove and inspect and or disassemble the SMC, but that's a lot of work to put it back in and rebleed the lines just to check.

Bike
2005 ST-1300
I'd say not really really. If you could get the boot up, you might not get it seated again, and any damage might be underneath it in the piston area itself.
You normally would do the rotate rear wheel/activate the SMC by hand test and check for the back brake to stop then release.
I guess you could remove and inspect and or disassemble the SMC, but that's a lot of work to put it back in and rebleed the lines just to check.
It seems to work correctly checking it that way, I'm just heading out on a 4,000 mile trip and want to make sure. Thank you for your input,.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Seems if you're going to travel, you'll know if there's a problem or not -- before you leave.
If the SMC is working (not binding), it's unlikely it will "fail" on a trip. Usually the issue is with being parked for a good while, and it doesn't require hundreds of miles to realize you have a problem.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm just heading out on a 4,000 mile trip and want to make sure.
Consider doing some routine maintenance before you leave. If you are up to date, forgetaboutit and just ride.....

That said, having had my lead acid batteries last between 3 and 6 years* in all my cars and bikes over the last 40 years, and been stuck twice needing a replacement, I now just put new ones in at 4 years.

My lawn tractor, however, had a battery that lived for 11 years. Go figure.

Top Bottom