Exhaust Leak.... just get it welded?

Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
Did a little maintenance over the weekend. Replaced the brake fluid in my clutch (very simple). But while I had the lower fairing skirt off I felt for exhaust leaks. While running I felt air coming from the far back Y where the yellow wedge is pointing. Is that pipe called the H-pipe? Looking at all the muffler connections I am a little nervous that rust is the only thing keeping everything together. If I do tackle the leak is the best option to take it somewhere and have a welded patch added? Now that I dig around for a picture of the full exhaust I'm going to have to pull one whole side to get that piece out... correct?

Muffler 1.jpg

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Almost impossible to weld rusty exhaust pipes..... And if done...will not last. ToddC

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just went through that with one of my ST1100s and replaced it with the Delkevic aftermarket - all stainless steel and great fit. You can still use the stock silencers with the Delkevic. What generally happens is as they try to weld it, the hole keeps 'moving' as there is more rust rot that you realize. I also tried various muffler 'patches' which were good for about 30 days.

The Cheese

I have one cheap if ya want. $25 plus shipping. I would not try to weld it up.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Be careful when you take things apart. That soft gasket that fits on the male pipe (it bottoms against that collar) is relatively expensive for 1300's. Not sure on your bike, but you might consider replacing yours along w/ the pipe.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
+1 don't weld. It will be like chasing an itch.

+1 stainless headers.

Patch it with automotive exhaust wrap to last until your parts arrive. +1 buy exhaust gaskets in advance. Been there done that on a different machine.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Remember exhaust gases, CO in particular, are poisonous. Don't ride your bike in circles in tunnels or indoors, and do ride with the windows rolled down. :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Something I learned from the scooter part of the world... The graphite exhaust gasket is actually considered a wear item. Its' intended purpose is to be a slip joint to relieve stress between the header pipes and the muffler. Not supposed to be crushed down tight. Over time it wears a bit and then eventually starts to allow gas and noise to blow-by.

OP
OP
IpswichST
Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
Wow... a lot to consider. I know from auto experience that welding usually doesn’t work, and sooner rather than later you will need to take it all apart again and do it right. And that’s my segway to, the easiest and efficient way to do this is to pull the whole system? I need to look up Uncle Phil’s suggested part by Delkevic

Bike
VStrom 650
Wow... a lot to consider. I know from auto experience that welding usually doesn’t work, and sooner rather than later you will need to take it all apart again and do it right. And that’s my segway to, the easiest and efficient way to do this is to pull the whole system? I need to look up Uncle Phil’s suggested part by Delkevic
Agreed, look on eBay there may well be secondhand Delkevics or Motads on there. They're expensive new and Motad are long gone anyway.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

Bike
2010 ST1300
the easiest and efficient way to do this is to pull the whole system?
The easiest and most efficient way is often (but not always) to replace the broken parts. Not necessarily the cheapest, but scotch tape and chewing gum repairs don't last long.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
After fussing with trying to fix it, yes, pull the whole system and replace it with the Delkevic. The biggest issue is getting the heat shields off as the screws will usually break off - which is not a problem as long as you can get the shields loose. If the shields are rusted through in some places, you can buy new ones (still available) or have someone fix the old ones and repaint them. The Delkevic headers come with all needed clamps and gaskets and fit just like OEM. I did replace the heat shield bolts with stainless steel socket heads since all the new stuff was stainless steel also.

OP
OP
IpswichST
Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
Looking up the Delkevic aftermarket headers that Uncle Phil suggested... for $368 delivered I'm guessing it may be the best route. My bike, she has earned a new stainless exhaust by providing me with fun and enjoyment (and an economical way to commute). Like anything, when you go new everything supposedly will fit nice and clean and you won't be second guessing yourself after buying something used whether that was the right way to go.
I have one cheap if ya want. $25 plus shipping.
I appreciate your offer Cheese.

For the rest of the summer I think I will wrap the pipe. A few things have come up this year which makes me want to do a little "re-furb" during the off season. My bike, she is looking a little tired. She needs a little attention. I appreciate everyone's suggestions!

Top Bottom