Exhaust pipes protection during winter??

Bike
2004 Honda ST 1300A
Hi All,

first time I have to winterize my ST and I was wondering if any of you apply some kind of product on the mufflers since they are made of chrome? It will past the winter in a heated garage but I am wondering if any oxidation is possible? Please list the product you use if ever you use something! Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Vagabond327
Bike
2004 Honda ST 1300A
So, the only thing I couldn't do is add oil into each cylinders. The bike is now in the heated garage of a friend and to accommodate me, we had to move a few of her things around in order to put the bike in the back of her garage....so now, not too easy to access....so, my question is, how bad is it that I did not put oil in each cylinders? I can probably manage to go back to my friend's place and move things around to access the bike but if it's not a big thing, maybe I won't. Your advice is welcome!

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
So, the only thing I couldn't due is add oil into each cylinders. The bike is now in the heated garage of a friend and to accommodate me, we had to move a few of her things around in order to put the bike in the back of her garage....so now, not too easy to access....so, my question is, how bad is it that I did not put oil in each cylinders? I can probably manage to go back to my friend's place and move things around to access the bike but if it's not a big thing, maybe I won't. Your advice is welcome!
I'm not aware of anyone that's puts oil in the bores over winter, obviously I know the next ten posters will say they do.
I over winter bikes every year and for at least the last 30 years with no issues.
Leave er to sleep.
Upt'North.

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Some do that for long term storage but as Upt says, don't worry about it. I had a Honda in storage for 25 years and the bores were the least of my worries when resurrection started.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I had an ST1100 engine sit in a basement for nine years. The only prep was stuffing intake and exhaust with paper towels.
It started and has run fine for a couple years now.
Surly not the right way to do it but points to a one winter storage not being a problem.

Bike
2005 st1300
If the garage is heated, there is little chance of condensation forming anywhere on the bike. Corrosion protection should not be needed. Myself, I would protect the fuel system and remaining fuel, especially if you have run fuel with ethanol in it. Also, consider rodent protection. Mice love heated garages

Bike
2010 ST1300
Don't forget a battery tender to keep it charged. There is a parasitic drain on the battery (clock, etc) that adds to the normal discharging for a lead acid battery. If you have a Shorai Lithium, or equiv, they suggest discharging it to 60% of full charge for long term storage*. I start my bike up every month or so to avoid the endless cranking that seemed to happen every spring if I did not. Some of the guys here have reported no such hard starting problems after a winter layup if they used all gas gas - i.e. no ethanol.
*I define long term as 3 months - don't remember what Shorai says.

Top Bottom