EZ Pass, I Pass, etc. New Transponder & Motorcycles

Bike
2017 ST 1300PA
I kept my EZ pass in my Aerostich Darien sleeve pocket, thinking it would register under the reader, but it did not. Perhaps velcro it to my sleeve next time?

Rob

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The "not recommended for motor cycles" bit for RFID tags maybe a blanket recommendation because most bike don't have a windshield. Since the recommended location for a car or truck is the windshield I'd think putting on a motorcycle windshield should work just fine.

In CA we have a choice between transponder or "sticker". Since I really don't want anything stuck on my windshield I went with a transponder in a pannier. I have no way of knowing if it's being read or if my bike's plate is used.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have EZPass transponders and I just put the one designated for my motorcycle in a little zip-lock bag and tuck it in my pocket. Been doing it that way for 15+ years. Most of the time it works fine. The only trouble I've had is here in Florida when I have to go really slow by the reader to get it to register. I got the new battery-less ones a few years ago and they work the same as the old ones.

If you can get more than one, just stick one on a little piece of plastic and put it in a zip-lock bag. If it works through your windshield it should work through your pocket.
The back of the EZPass transponder should face forward. I had some misreads when I put it in my 'Stitch's breast pocket with the back against my chest, but this was not consistent. Since I don't use it that often, now I simply tape it to the top inside of my windshield w/ masking or electrical tape when I know I'm going to ride on a toll road. Ugly, but it works great. Those two tapes do not leave residue on the plastic (I remove it at my destination or lunch stops).

Bike
'99 ST1100 AX
When running around Brisbane, I used to have one of these on the bike behind the screen, and a second one in the car. Don't know how they worked or were powered, but used them for three years when there. Both unit serial numbers were set up to one account with the charge added as you passed under the toll cameras. At the time the bike was $1.20 and the car was £2.70 each time you used a toll road.

1707909249487.png

Top Bottom