Factory Warraty Coverage on Original Battery

Bike
ST and K1600
Factory Warranty Coverage on OEM Yuasa Battery

Original Yuasa battery is now failing load test, I have 5 months left on the 3-yr factory warrenty. Called Honda cust service, first rep said it would be covered, to take to dealer for a test. Dealer said batteries not covered but he would call Honda Dealer Tech Support. They tell the dealer it's not covered. I call back to Honda cust service, this Rep reads all the notes, my initial call to Honda cust service, and the dealer's call to Dealer Tech Support.. this Rep tells me battery coverage is a gray area and he would refer it to a case management person.. that was 2 days ago, have not heard back. I'm expecting to hear that the warranty does not cover replacement of a worn out battery.

Last edited:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Somewhere in the warranty paperwork that came with my 1300, I remember reading that it said that battery was only covered for 12 months.

TXRoadRash

FWDoc
Bike
2008 GL1800
...but page 14 eliminates the battery:

DISTRIBUTOR'S LIMITED WARRANTIES
REPLACEMENT PARTS
Warranty Time Period
Duration:
Coverage for defects in material and workmanship:
• Replacement Batteries: one (1) year

Edit: One could take the above to mean that a replacement for the OEM only has a 1 year warranty -- in which case you OEM should fall under the 3 year fatory warranty. It's worth printing out the warranty info and taking it with you to the dealer...

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
My dealer replaced my OEM Yuasa under warranty about 3 weeks before my 3 year warranty ran out.

OP
OP
SFAlan
Bike
ST and K1600
I looked, and re-looked at page 5, but I don't see any reference to "including" the battery. I so see a reference to "not" including "parts affected by normal wear". Page 16 is referring to a replacement battery, not the original battery. Now it depends on how Honda defines "normal" wear for the original battery. Thanks all, very helpful.

OP
OP
SFAlan
Bike
ST and K1600
Honda called back left me voicemail.. she said the battery is covered by the 3-yr warranty, said she called the dealer, confirmed with them that the battery is covered by warrantly and told the dealer they should contact/call "Dealer Support/Tech Services" to get it straightened out. Trying to get in touch now with both the Honda rep (she left her number) and with the dealer.

OP
OP
SFAlan
Bike
ST and K1600
Jackpot.. Dealer called today, Honda Cust Service got he and Honda Dealer Tech Services on the same call, Cust Service said the OEM battery covered, that the Honda Dealer Tech Services had to reimburse the Dealer for the order. Dealer called to let me know the battery is on order.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
If they replace the battery, the "replacement battery" will only be covered for one year....the original is covered for 3 years...

<D>

OP
OP
SFAlan
Bike
ST and K1600
If you need to replace the original Yuasa battery, and the dealer says it's not covered, Honda cust service is very good at communicating to both the dealer and local Honda Dealer Tech Support, to confirm that the batter is covered. Yuasa cust service is also very good with helping you identify the date of manufacture on the replacement battery. This battery is activated at the factory and should be ready to install w/o having to charge it. If dealer says they have to charge it first, could mean that the dealer hasn't done a good job maintaining the battery if it's been in their stock for awhile.

Bike
07 ST1300A
STOC #
Just got done talking to customer support and they said my failing battery would be covered under warranty only if it is due to a defect or workmanship but told me to take to a stealer and let them look at it. With my last experience at the stealer, I'm not holding my breath that they'll cover it.

ardykay54

Russ "NeonMan" Knock
Bike
22 Kaw Z900rs 50 ann
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you bought the Honda extended warranty does this cover the battery for an additional 4 years?

Top Bottom