fairing extension, yes or no?

Bike
2006 ST1300
I bought my ST1300 last year and it came with fairing extensions. Luckily the bike is black so they dont look too out of place but I think i'd rather see what its like without them. I'm not too sure how they are attached other than some really strong velcro but I want to get the bike detailed next season anyway so any paint issues should be resolved. Has anyone ever taken them off? Or put them on? What is the actual difference when riding with wind and cool weather? My wife says keep them because she thinks it adds so much protection. I'm just not sure. Help me decide!!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had them and thought they were functional but then I never rode the bike without them or thought to remove them.

I prefer having them. My last bike didn’t have them and the current bike does. It seems to make a difference in the cold weather.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
They're attached with a double sided adhesive tape. You can remove them, and it shouldn't harm the paint. (I have to remove my mirror extensions when I remove the upper center cowling, and it hasn't caused any damage.) You can replace them using 3M trim adhesive tape, available at most auto parts stores. Personally, I appreciate the slightly increased protection and don't find the aesthetics objectionable on my red '05. Should you choose to do without them, I'm sure you can sell them on the forum; they're no longer available from Honda.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Have bought and installed two sets in the last 6 years. They are not available anymore. I prefer the less wind on my legs and hands. They are installed with 3M double sided tape and one screw at each end. There will be holes and really tough tape to remove.
ToddC

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Bought my bike new without and added them on a season later. Fit and finish very good and are snaps and adhesive applied and a single screw under mirror. So I guess you could remove them and redo the glue. To me the finish would look a bit more naked without them.

Function they do deflect more air. Especially when the windshield is raised ( the bubble is a bit more expanded and good when cold or rain.) I opted out of the lower engine area but have considered adding the remaining to deflect heat.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I actually think they look good. You might try heat from a hair dryer or carefully applied from a heat gun.

Unless you live in a very temperate climate you might find removing them only to reapply them a waste of time. They defect both cold and hot air off your hands. You might have no use for them if:

you don't feel the need for heated grips or gloves
you don't need heavy gloves when riding in your coldest weather
you don't ride in cold long enough to chill you hands

There's a lot to be said for keeping a direct blast of air - hot or cold - off your hands.

If you do remove them and they're intact and in reasonably good shape you could always resell them. Some clean up and the oft mentioned 3M double sided tape and somebody is much happier than they were.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The 3M tape that holds the wind deflectors on the bike is pricy*, and you can only buy a whole roll of the stuff - it is not sold by the foot. If you have a friend in a body shop or a friendly shop nearby, they might sell you a partial roll. IIRC, my deflectors had two strips per section of rubber, so overall quite a bit of this double sided tape was used. As already mentioned, gentle heat will soften the glue and allow removal, but I would be very careful using either a hair dryer or heat gun. Either one of those can damage the paint. If you are going to remove them, consider pouring hot water on them. Better yet, remove the fairing pieces and hold each one over a bathtub while you do the pouring.
*If you go to an auto body supply house, consider calling 911 before you ask the price. It took my breath away. The stuff is cheaper online.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I like the way the upper mirror deflectors work with my Clearview GT-med windshield,, to keep the wind off my hands. However,,, I don't have a particularly hot ST13, so I did not install the lower deflectors. I have not noticed any problems,,, and I think their absence helps reduce turbulence and drag a bit. So,, to each their own,,, Cheers,, CAt'

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I would be happy to find a set available for my ST, they look pretty good and are impossible to find anywhere !

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Interesting, the perspectives on this.
I've already mentioned that this bike has more weather protection than anything I've ever owned, so I already feel like I'm in a cocoon. It's great! I've seen pics of STs that wear the extra trim, and they don't look bad at all.
Then again, I live in the south so I'm not typically subjected to sub-freezing temps on a daily basis. It was 37 degrees F. this morning - coldest day yet.
If I were trapped in the "real" north, where you have 9 months of winter and 3 months of poor sledding, I'd want to have them. But here, for the relative few days of brutal cold here, I can add layers, and the electric vest and gloves.
Due to these add-on's being made of unobtanium, you'd probably want to keep them if you have them, as others have said.

Bike
ST1300A
Not many riders will ever experience the high speed weave that the standard ST1300 fairing can exhibit in certain situations. The extensions were primarily designed to make the bikes more stable when being ridden at high speeds.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The extensions were primarily designed to make the bikes more stable when being ridden at high speeds.
I am curious to know where that theory came from as I have never heard that before. The cause of the original ST1300 weave was mechanical, not wind generated.
These fairing extensions were designed to increase the amount of weather protection offered to the rider and passenger, and to make more money for Honda.

OP
OP
Dan Franklin
Bike
2006 ST1300
I actually think they look good. You might try heat from a hair dryer or carefully applied from a heat gun.

Unless you live in a very temperate climate you might find removing them only to reapply them a waste of time. They defect both cold and hot air off your hands. You might have no use for them if:

you don't feel the need for heated grips or gloves
you don't need heavy gloves when riding in your coldest weather
you don't ride in cold long enough to chill you hands

There's a lot to be said for keeping a direct blast of air - hot or cold - off your hands.

If you do remove them and they're intact and in reasonably good shape you could always resell them. Some clean up and the oft mentioned 3M double sided tape and somebody is much happier than they were.
I dont go out if its below 5 degrees C. Even then, not fun unless its sunny! Usually thats only the first ride in spring and I cant wait to bring an end to the long winter by riding!

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Good call. I removed a set from a bike I sold last month. It took hours to clean up the adhesive. Tried all sorts of chemicals.
Another set that I removed was no problem.
I didn’t like the look of them.
After riding plenty of miles with and without them, I prefer riding with them. They don’t look so bad to me now since they function well.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ive always had these fitted. I know they keep the heat off my legs 'cos in winter when I'd like to have the heat, I have to stick my knees out a long way to feel it.

Cant find them ? 3 sets here in the uk. Try their USA branch.

Top Bottom