Final Driven Flange Lubrication Issue

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
After installing the rear flange bearing I came across a lubrication contradiction in the manual. (See attachment) It states "Apply molybdenum disulfide paste to the mating surface of the rear wheel hub end and final driven flange A" The picture symbols shows molybdenum disulfide grease. These are different types of grease. Manual pp16-10.

Also the picture displays the final driven flange not the hub that fits to the wheel hub with the rubber bumpers.

Checking the threads on the in the forum everyone seems to use the moly paste on the hub. I'm not sure this is right. The paste should be used on relatively static mating surfaces. While the molybdenum disulfide grease should be used on surfaces that have more movement. SO, I used the grease specification.

I could be wrong here so please correct me if I am. I'd like to get it right.

Attachments

OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The splines require moly paste, which has a high content of moly (~45 %). Regular moly grease may only be 3%.
Correct! But I'm referring to the hub that they referenced in writing but displayed the wrong picture. In writing they specified moly paste but displayed moly grease. A real contradiction here. :confused:

OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Moly 60 paste on the driving and driven splines.
What about the wheel hub and Flange A where the rubber bumpers are. That's what the manual is referring to. Not the splines which is on another page which correctly specifies moly 60.

This page is about the reassembly of the flange onto the wheel. And I think it's in error. I think this mating surface needs moly grease.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
What about the wheel hub and Flange A where the rubber bumpers are. That's what the manual is referring to. Not the splines which is on another page which correctly specifies moly 60.

This page is about the reassembly of the flange onto the wheel. And I think it's in error. I think this mating surface needs moly grease.
I don't have a manual handy but what I read is "put the assembled driven hub in the wheel, secure with the C clip, THEN place moly 60 on the driven "male" splines.

You want NO grease on the the Cush rubbers.

OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
You don't want moly anywhere near the rubber bumpers. Only on the spline side.
OK. I greased up the hub (not splines, yet). Joe's rear flange berring replacement article shows them coated with what appears to be moly 60. When I took it apart, the wheel hub and flange A, it was well greased with what appears to be the same stuff I used, moly grease. It was so dirty I couldn't be sure. I didn't grease the bumpers or mating surfaces to the bumpers.

Do you recommend no grease between the wheel hub and the flange?

OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Well let me try again. I guess the first entry wasn't clear.

Page 16-10 (first attachment) refers to the reassembly of the driven flange assembly (A) to the wheel hub. It gives two different specs to the grease. One in writing (moly 60 paste) and two in the picture (moly grease). I think moly grease should be applied here.

Page 16-11 (second attachment) refers to the splines as you mount the wheel to the final drive. This is where the moly 60 paste is applied.

I believe the manual writers got the wrong picture and writing on page 16-10. I think it should have been a picture of the inside of the flange A and wheel hub for the moly grease. I think they outright got the wording wrong on the moly 60 paste. They for sure got one of them wrong; either the picture or the wording.

Attachments

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Use the Moly 60 inside and outside the flange and you won't go wrong. Coat the thrust washer with it too.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well let me try again. I guess the first entry wasn't clear.

Page 16-10 (first attachment) refers to the reassembly of the driven flange assembly (A) to the wheel hub. It gives two different specs to the grease. One in writing (moly 60 paste) and two in the picture (moly grease). I think moly grease should be applied here.

Page 16-11 (second attachment) refers to the splines as you mount the wheel to the final drive. This is where the moly 60 paste is applied.

I believe the manual writers got the wrong picture and writing on page 16-10. I think it should have been a picture of the inside of the flange A and wheel hub for the moly grease. I think they outright got the wording wrong on the moly 60 paste. They for sure got one of them wrong; either the picture or the wording.
OK - At home looking at my manual I remember seeing this several years ago when I helped someone with a 2003 replace the driven flange bearings. His 2003 manual differed from my 2006 manual. By 2006 your page 16-10 had become 16-11. Look at page 1-23 and see if it gives you the three places to use G/T 3% MB Grease - none of which are final drive splines or in the hub. However, the 2006 manual has the same picture with the M grease icon in place of the MP icon. I believe it should have a MP icon because that matches 1-23 namely G/T 40% MB paste on the male and female splines and the two O ring grooves.

Clean the grease off the inner face of the flange that fits into the rubber cushions - this area is installed dry of lubricant. Paste on the inside O ring groove and end face of the wheel.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Moly grease on the o-ring moly paste on male and female splines..the inner hub area...looks like silver bowl comes from the factory with a coating of what looks like moly paste..since the mating surface does not make contact I leave this area clean and dry. 02

OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
OK - At home looking at my manual I remember seeing this several years ago when I helped someone with a 2003 replace the driven flange bearings. His 2003 manual differed from my 2006 manual. By 2006 your page 16-10 had become 16-11. Look at page 1-23 and see if it gives you the three places to use G/T 3% MB Grease - none of which are final drive splines or in the hub. However, the 2006 manual has the same picture with the M grease icon in place of the MP icon. I believe it should have a MP icon because that matches 1-23 namely G/T 40% MB paste on the male and female splines and the two O ring grooves.

Clean the grease off the inner face of the flange that fits into the rubber cushions - this area is installed dry of lubricant. Paste on the inside O ring groove and end face of the wheel.
Thanks. I'll clean it up, double check the 1-23 page, and follow your lead. I have plenty of both types on hand to make a total mess of the ST. :eek::

Top Bottom