First 2007 Start: Antifreeze leak

I started my '05 ST1300 (12,000 km) for the first time since October 2006. Two drops of antifreeze appeared on the garage floor, about 8 inches from the front of the bottom of the fairing. I let the bike run for about 10 minutes, and no more appeared.

Any suggestions where it came from and why?

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
You probably have loose hose clamps on or around the thermostat housing. Usually what happens is the parts will contract during long, cold periods of no running, leaving a gap big enough to let coolant escape under pressure when the thermostat is closed. As everything warms up, the thermostat opens and takes the pressure off the joint and the parts expand themselves closed again.

Takes about 10 minutes to go over everything if you have the Tupperware off and the airbox removed.

--Mark

Bike
2005 ST1300
Just got mine ('05 37K) back from the shop with the same thing you describe.

What they told me (and fixed of course) was an o-ring by or on the thermostat and they also replaced the waterpump gasket.

My 03ABS started to drip in January; could always see little green wet spots on garage floor.
Took it to the local dealer 2 weeks ago, and just got it back yesterday.:mad: Leaking water pump seal and no parts in stock.:mad:
Covered under "extended waranty" no cost to me.:D
Shop invoice showed 1.9 hours labor; total bill $237.00 billed to mother Honda.:D

Bike
2005 ST1300
Greetings...new ST'er here...I have the same problem. How long does it take to fix in the shop?
If you wan to cut down on the times..Take the plastic off first and bring you bike to the shop and have them take a look at it and diagnose..then take it home while the parts are on order and bring it in when the part gets there..I had the waterpump gasket replaced and the bike sat in i the shop for over three weeks...NEVER AGAIN..

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Funny this should come up. I have fought an antifreeze leak since mine was new. Just got it back from the shop. They replaced the water pump, a seal and a gasket. Now to see if it is fixed at last.

During winter mods, I checked the clamps due to the many posts I have read. 50% were as loose as a goose on a 2005. If you are reading and have not checked them, make plans to do it before it becomes a problem. It does not seem like the quality of the clamp, but either the original tension set by Mother Honda or the hoses taking a set over time and heat cycles decreasing the tension. They are a worm style clamp and should not loosen on there own. I would expect that they will stay put now, but I know I will re-check when ever the air box is pulled. I sure wonder how many "leaking" pumps repaired by dealers were really loose clamps. This is a great forum. I would think that we have more real world information of the issues than most of the techs working on the ST.

Funny this should come up. I have fought an antifreeze leak since mine was new. Just got it back from the shop. They replaced the water pump, a seal and a gasket. Now to see if it is fixed at last.
Got mine back 4 days ago, and have ridden 116 miles; no leaks yet. Hopefully it is fixed.
How much did they hit you for?

Bike
2005 ST1300
The only time I saw a few drops (and panicked) was when I was out in 14 degrees:eek: . Thats when I took it immediately to the shop...Probably could have lived with it..who knows if I would have caught the waterpump leak..

MGDaversa

but you can call me Michael
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
This started last fall and is driving me crazy. There is no visible drip, but often (not always) after I've been riding for a while and come to a stop, I'm getting a coolant odor coming up at me behind the fairing. At about the same time, my engine temp indicator began stopping at two bars instead of three or dropping back to two bars for periods of time, while running.

Took it to the dealer and the shop guy says (a) they pressurized the system and found no leaks or evidence of a leak and (b) the engine temp is in the acceptable range. In other words, just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, bring it in. There was no charge, because the bike is under warranty, but there was no fix, either. And in the meantime, I have to put up with this antifreeze smell from an apparently nonexistent/invisible leak. :confused:

I am NOT a handy person (I break things), so trying to find and fix this myself is probably not a good option. I'm sure open for ideas, though, because this is buggin' me.

-- MGD

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Mine has dribbled too but I usually smell it and not see it. I have the plastic off now and I noticed what I think is a weep hole on the right side of the engine at the bottom of the water pump cover. It looks pretty wet in that area so I may have to keep an eye on it or take it to the dealer to see what they say.

Curt

Top Bottom