First distance ride on ST1100

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Took my ST on a three day 750 mile run to the .north woods in Wisconsin. I now get why people love to ride this bike. 300 miles in a day and I was never looking to move my legs or really change my position. I avoided the major highway as best I could. The weather was perfect just a bit cool on Saturday morning a balmy 42 degrees and although the heated grips were nice with my light weight gloves on my fingers got really cold. Glove liners next time. My ride took me as far north as Mercer. I stopped by the Paul Bunyon's in Minoquoca, and the Tomahawk Fall Ride. I didn't see any other ST's there, but I did have several former ST owners stop by and say hi. Really couldn't have asked for a nicer weekend.

Attachments

• PXL_20210918_125652081.jpg
    PXL_20210918_125652081.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 18
Can't wait to get mine on the road. Glad you got out to enjoy the countryside.

In the meantime, commuting 50 miles a day splitting lanes between inattentive drivers on heavily congested roads.

Wouldn't mind an open road from time to time.

Took my ST on a three day 750 mile run to the .north woods in Wisconsin. I now get why people love to ride this bike. 300 miles in a day and I was never looking to move my legs or really change my position. I avoided the major highway as best I could. The weather was perfect just a bit cool on Saturday morning a balmy 42 degrees and although the heated grips were nice with my light weight gloves on my fingers got really cold. Glove liners next time. My ride took me as far north as Mercer. I stopped by the Paul Bunyon's in Minoquoca, and the Tomahawk Fall Ride. I didn't see any other ST's there, but I did have several former ST owners stop by and say hi. Really couldn't have asked for a nicer weekend.
Go to. Home depot for gloves. You can buy larger rubber gloves and line them w a cloth glove. Works in rain, wind and cold. Wicked cheap!

I'm sure it's nothing everyone doesn't already know but for what it's worth. With what seemed like every imaginable accessory, I said, hey, no heated grips? I'm 60, seller is 61[?] says, you don't need them, he put aftermarket fatter grips, but no heat[?, I want heat!] [or so he said].
Don't think there's a big difference between the 11 and 13 as far as wind deflection away from the controls, but after some 3 and 4 C rides, I was okay as well. I've had hypothermia a couple times, chilled the bathtub water a few times in a row when I was young between Edmonton and Calgary and had to learn the hard way that starting out well rested, [fit to begin with] keeping not just my hands, but my pathways to those fingers well insulated and dry, ]and maybe not in April] a bike that induces little vibration fatigue and has throttle lock which enables release and a bit of exercise works.

I'm sure it's nothing everyone doesn't already know but for what it's worth. With what seemed like every imaginable accessory, I said, hey, no heated grips? I'm 60, seller is 61[?] says, you don't need them, he put aftermarket fatter grips, but no heat[?, I want heat!] [or so he said].
Don't think there's a big difference between the 11 and 13 as far as wind deflection away from the controls, but after some 3 and 4 C rides, I was okay as well. I've had hypothermia a couple times, chilled the bathtub water a few times in a row when I was young between Edmonton and Calgary and had to learn the hard way that starting out well rested, [fit to begin with] keeping not just my hands, but my pathways to those fingers well insulated and dry, ]and maybe not in April] a bike that induces little vibration fatigue and has throttle lock which enables release and a bit of exercise works.

I don't mind cold weather...yet. Several mornings at 17F. One trip only warmed to 40F in the afternoon.
My worse was a ride home from HS. Cool morning, incoming blizzard about quitting time. Got about halfway home in freezing drizzle and ice began forming on my gloves and wet clothing. I became a bit concerned about the possibility of ice on the roads. Pulled into a full service station about halfway home. They let me push the bike into the back of a bay and call home for a ride. I still get the shivvers whenever I think about that.

Yikes, I had clear consistent weather, not really a long trip, but Mr. Brain wasn't do me any favors. I remember feeling cold at one point, but when I got to Calgary I got off and I was shaking / shivering so uncontrolled that I waited and walked it off a bit before even trying to get a room. Another aspect of things is change in metabolism, Commercial HVAC systems I used to work on back in Edmonton sometimes utilizes morning warm up programs, haven't really encountered that so much on lower mainland where average outdoor temp variation is so much lower, but many people in sedentary office environments have told the same tale - it's not bad when I first come in but later on it gets really cold - well, the temperature hasn't really changed [in fact, if you had a night setback cycle, the mean building temperature is actually higher which should be providing you with the opposite effect] but your right, it does.

Back
Top Bottom