First Ride On First Bike

Bike
2007 Ninja 500
I officially went on my first ride with my Ninja EX500 tonight after Jim got home. It will take some getting use to, but so far I think I am going to like it. Definitely need the bar risers as I am finding that I not only have short legs, I also have short arms.....:rofl1:
I would to give a big THANK YOU to all of you who shared your thoughts on the best bike to purchase. :wave1:

051412183914.jpg

Amelia

Bike
2006 ST1300
Looking good honey! Now you need to earn your first Iron Butt Association license plate frame! :rofl1:

If she is used to it enough by then, we are planning to ride to Bar Harbor for the weekend of June 2nd. I think she will be ready, and will have lots of fun.

Jim

I officially went on my first ride with my Ninja EX500 tonight after Jim got home. It will take some getting use to, but so far I think I am going to like it. Definitely need the bar risers as I am finding that I not only have short legs, I also have short arms.....:rofl1:
I would to give a big THANK YOU to all of you who shared your thoughts on the best bike to purchase. :wave1:

051412183914.jpg

Amelia

Bike
'93 ST1100
STOC #
Congrats Amelia on your first ride on YOUR bike.....good looking machine. There's nothing I like better than to see a woman ride.....good for you. I'm sure it will bring you many miles of pleasure.

Gary

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
If she is used to it enough by then, we are planning to ride to Bar Harbor for the weekend of June 2nd. I think she will be ready, and will have lots of fun.
What, no NESTOC? ;-) Great looking bike! Ellen & I have to get back to bar Harbor...we haven't been there since I proposed 16 years ago on Cadillac Mountain at Sunrise :oops:

Bike
2006 ST1300
We ended up with a wedding to go to. Its a family who came 300+ miles to our wedding, and did a lot to help. Of course being on the coast of Maine, and our cabin being right across the street from a great lobster place doesn't hurt. We were planning to take my bike until we found one for her.

Bike
2006 ST1300
We did get some good news about the slight engine vibes we could feel. Some research on the net found info about how the front engine mount rubber bushings tend to deteriorate after several years. Sure enough, when I checked this morning I found the front bushings are shot. New ones are on order, so the vibes should be gone soon. I was surprised how much fun the little bike was when I rode it home. I would have had a blast with it on the Dragon! It seems like two bikes in one- between 4k & 7500k RPMs its happy being an economical commuter. But hit 7500, and it really wakes up and becomes a real sportbike, pulling hard enough to impress me.

A couple people have managed to swap these engines into KLRs, now that I have ridden one, I might look for a cheap EX500 or 650 engine to do the swap myself, rather than rebuild my KLR engine.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I even found the little Ninja came with two oil filters for my ST included! Two Supertech ST7317 oil filters were thrown in. Very nice of him to buy two ST1300 oil filters for me. Of course, they just happen to also fit a Ninja 500... Now to convince Amelia that she doesn't want to use those cheap filters on her nice, new Ninja!

BTW, the PO didn't buy those because just because they were cheap- he mentioned to us how he had researched and found how good the filters were.

Of course, since my wife has a shiny bike sitting outside, it poured here all day. Its supposed to start improving tomorrow, and be nice Thursday through the weekend.

Patty- we both still really like the Gladius, but used prices were out of our price range right now. It works out well though, she is moving up slowly, with a lighter, even shorter bike. Depending on her tastes after this season, she may be ready for the Gladius next year.

Last edited:
Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Quite right, Jim! I suspect the Gladius hasn't been on the market long enough - there aren't enough used ones around yet to bring the prices down. And the Ninja IS shorter and looks like a really nice fit for Amelia! I think you made an excellent choice; I'm really excited for her! :) :)

Patty

Bike
2006 ST1300
Fun evening tonight! The sun was finally out today, so Amelia met me at work when I got out. We took "the long way home", stopping to visit friends, then her son on the way home. By the time we were within 5 miles of home the skies darkened. When we came out from picking up dinner at the store at the bottom of our hill, the skies opened up and we were soaked when we got home. She was laughing all the way up the hill (communicators are great) and took it very well. Yes, we are going to have lots of fun riding together. She definitely has the right attitude!

Oh, and with a total of 96 miles under her belt on the new bike, she says she really likes it.

OP
OP
quarterhorse
Bike
2007 Ninja 500
I think Jim in the last two weekends has been trying to make me or break me.....:hurt1:

I have to say I have been enjoying the last two weekends and with a few muscles I was not aware I had until I began riding on my own, I believe I am ready for our trip to Bar Harbor this coming weekend.

And yesterday as we hit the Maine line, I officially completed 1,000 miles........:toot1:

Top Bottom