First SS10000

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Looking forward to participating in my first IBA ride. The ride begins in Hopkins, MN on saturday June 9th. I have really enjoyed gathering info from the seasoned veterans. Thanks for sharing any and all advice. Dewey

Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Best of luck on your trip!

Ironically, you're starting your first SS1000 in Hopkins, MN (I used to live in St. Louis Park and Minnetonka). I'm planning my first SS1000 for later this summer and I plan on finishing it in Coon Rapids, MN.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
WooHoo! Go Minnesota ST-O Contingent!! :bow1:

I'm leaving for my first SS1K/BunBurner on Wednesday. Leaving Woodbury on Wednesday the 23rd, and arriving in Washington on Thursday the 24th.

Good luck to all of us first timers!

Oh, and, hey, Scooter... you bringing Monkeybutt powder or anything like that? :confused:

jasonJonas

Saver of Turtles
STOC #
i reckon you're participating in the mtf's regional, eh? if so, patrick will take good care of you. tips.... hmmm.... The IBA's Archive of Wisdom covers a lot of good info, but here are some things to consider:

excessive, unsafe speed is not required to complete any IBA ride. the key is to maintain a steady and deliberate pace.

good ld riders have honed their skills to make their stops as short as possible because they understand that steady movement is key. when stopped they're either doing one of four Ps - pumping, paying, peeing or pooping. some even modify their diets to forestall pooping and others have found acceptable ways to pee while rolling down the road. there's no need to do either of these on an ss1k.

eating and drinking while rolling down the road is a great way to keep the wheels spinning. i prefer simple foods like jerked beef and nuts. i keep a camelbak in the tankbag so hydration is always at the ready. and please keep yourself hydrated.

if you haven't already, there's no need to modify your diet. if you drink coffee every morning, drink your coffee the morning of the ride. if you like a big breakfast, carry on the morning of.

an ss1k is just a long day at the office. keep your wheels spinning, don't be an idiot, listen to your body/mind/machine and have a fun, safe run.

jasonJonas

Saver of Turtles
STOC #
for the record... i don't mind stopping to pee and poop, but for any multi-day ride i modify my diet somewhat to reduce the number of bowel movements.

And, I'll do that before it's dark and I've done the last fill-up
good point. just because you have your electrics on, doesn't mean they're powered up or that you need them at the moment. that's just good planning in order to eliminate a stop.

Good luck Dewey! Like Jason says it moving forward that counts. You'll find that for a SS1K you actually have plenty of time to take a break at the half way point, grab something to eat and head out again. But I can't stress to much how important it is to stay hydrayded. I not only keep my camelback in my tank bag but I also freeze a catorade bottle the night before and keep it in my top box for emergencies just in case I run out of water or have a problem on the road.

We expect a full ride report when you're done :)

Ride long and ride safe,

Bob

OP
OP
scooterbanes
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks to all for the info and the support...much appreciated! Mark, I will be taking the powder with as to keep the firery demon at bay! I have had a Spencer Mod done on my seat and also wear padded shorts...hopefully this will be enough as I don't think that I have enough time to get a seat pad. Good luck to Mark and East on your 1K's. Keep the rubber down and have a great ride!!

Top Bottom