First Tipover

Bike
ST1300
Well, it finally happened. Was riding with the NOVA riding group of about 25 bikes today. The best weather possible. Was at the rear of the group having just caught up after an unprogrammed stop. Group was stopped attempting to cross a four lane expressway. All but the row in front of me made it but the two bikes directly in front of me had to stop and wait for traffic. It was an uphill stop with a crown and where I had to stop, of course, a pothole on my right side. Slowly moved up but didn't see the sloping pavement and hole and when I put my right foot down it was a couple inches lower, just low enough that I couldn't keep it from going over straight to the right side.

My lady passenger and I hopped off and I killed the engine. Fortunately neither the lady nor I had much of a fall. Guy in front of me helped me pick up the ST, I got on, lady got on and finished the ride.

Great day except for my first embarassing moment on the ST. Will sand out the scratches to the engine guard and tipover bar and should be good as new.

Oh well. When we stopped for lunch, I told the group who were all in front at the time that I looked like the guy on the kid's tricycle on Laugh-in that peddled to a stop and laid it over on its side. Only the ST is one big beast and it's really scary when it starts to lean and you come to the instantaneous realization, oh sh.t, I can't hold it at this angle...it's going over!!!

Glad I bought those tipover bars. Thanks BigDawg.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Sorry about you tip-over. I hope your lady friend will ride with you again!! It is no big deal other then your pride being hurt!! It can happen to the best of us!! :D

:usflag1:

TXRoadRash

FWDoc
Bike
2008 GL1800
Have yet to do it on the ST...

but I perfected it on my Wing...:eek::

the 1100RT...:eek:::eek::

the Aspencade...:eek:::eek:::eek::

and, well...:eek:::eek:::eek:::eek::

Bike
04 st1300A
I did my one and only tip over right in front of the Honda dealer. The ego is more bruised than the bike.

:CanFlag1::bl11:

st1300doug

Never did it on the road. But, three weeks ago, I was backing the bike, alone, off a trailer. It had stopped raining for 30 min. As the bike's front wheel rolled onto the ramp grate, sliiiiiide! It was rolling fast enough that when I stabbed my leg down...nope, too far over. Just scratches to the crashguard cover. $22 fix. Looked around...Tues. at 1PM. No one seen the deal. BUT...damn! Could not pick it up. Had to go to the neighbor, wake him up, and ask for help! He was laughing uncontrollably. I wasn't! (We both laughed later....geeeeez!) Hey, YOU learned something that day right? Glad you two were okay!!!

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
The Hat IS quite distracting (Your Avatar) LOL :rimshot1:
Yes, needless to say there is a bit of story to go with the photo. It starts at post #33 here.

Now that I've got my bike back on the road (125 km today!), and I've "enjoyed" the variety of a different picture, I will likely be changing this before too long.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Great Story!

So did you get it home? Is it still in Fashion? :hat4:
No, I didn't get it home! I didn't even wear it for more than 30 seconds or so:) As soon as the photo was taken I gently replaced the very lovely white lace hat on whatever doo-dad that holds while lace hats and went back downstairs to join the rest of the crew having breakfast. But not before also placing the furry cricker back wherever I found it:)

Geez anyone can tip their bike over by themselves... some of us are more generous and share our special moments with our passengers:D

OP
OP
garymozingo
Bike
ST1300
Yes with a lady who rides but didn't want to ride that day. And she even got back on. Of course that could have been because she was 50 miles from home and we were in the back of the group so there was no one left to hitch a ride with! :D At least I wasn't beside another rider at the stop sign and took out another bike. That would have been bad!!

Of course I didn't tell the part of the story that I refused to pull off where the group captain pulled off since it was a gravel lot full of potholes and 20 other bikers trying to figure out how to avoid falling down while making a frigging u-turn. Thus I rode a couple miles to a better turnaround spot and had to catch the group. The route was a 1 1/2 lane country rode that was built in horse country so twas barely more than a wagon width. To catch up I had the Steed up to 70 at times and even passed a pickup truck on one of the few straight-aways. That's why I was at the back. Of course as soon as I catch up after 6 or 7 miles, I tipover at the stop sign. :D

Yep, just have a hard time standing still!!! Oh well. M.Bare.assed is the way it feels.

Top Bottom