First valve check, 2008 st-1300

The valve check job is a bit intimidating . I plan to do it with my son-in-law in the next few days.
I have read many of the posts and am asking if there is a shim kit with some instructions available to borrow or purchase?
Also any info on required part-special tools would be nice.
Thanks,
Frank in socal

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
The check itself is not so bad. Angled feeler gauges are a real asset. Sizes 0.004 through 0.012. Torque wrench, with hex key sockets is also useful. Inspection mirror is very handy for seeing into the port where the timing / alignment marks are. Shine a flashlight on it to illuminate the depths of the hole.

Changing a shim requires more disassembly than just checking clearances. Not hard, but must be done with all due care for details. @T_C used to be the keeper of the shared kit; if he doesn't have it he may know who does. It includes a micrometer, useful for verifying shim thicknesses. Might also have the feeler gauges- I don't remember for certain.

@okmurdog has excellently described photos of the process, for both sides of the engine. If not reposted after the site upgrade in Sep 2018, ask nicely and he might make them available.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Another option to the shim kit is if you have a shop/dealership that you do business with regularly (i.e. they know you) they'll usually swap shims, either for free, or for a nominal fee if you take your shims to the shop to trade. The same shims are used by all the Japanese makes AFAIK, or at least they used to be, so shims are pretty generic parts.

Its pretty common to do a check and find out none of the shims require replacing anyway, so you may not need any shims at all.

John_Diego

Site Supporter
Bike
ST-1300/GL1800
How many miles on your ST? I am willing to lend you a hand, and have all the tools for the job and a few extra shims (none of them will be the size you need of course, if you need any at all). PM me if you want some help.

John

OP
OP
How many miles on your ST? I am willing to lend you a hand, and have all the tools for the job and a few extra shims (none of them will be the size you need of course, if you need any at all). PM me if you want some help.

John
Thanks a bunch for the offer! I’ll see how it goes when I get it apart.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I will bet that they will all be within spec at those miles.....
Just my 2 cents....:)

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
What are the symptoms of needing valve clearance adjustments?
If left out of spec long enough, burned valves are a possibility. The spec is set to factor in the heat transferred between the valve and cylinder head over the period of time the valve is closed. Out of spec clearances mean that time changes, and may mean the valves get too hot.

If enough of them are out of spec badly enough, performance may also affected even if you are not otherwise damaging the engine. Do the check, as scheduled. It isn't hard.

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
When i took my bike in for a health check at 70k, now i wonder if this was done. Next time it will be required

Thanks OP and others

OP
OP
Finished my first valve check on 12/21 at 16600 miles.
All were were in spec. I don’t push past 7k on the tac, maybe that made a difference on the wear in.
Pulled the radiator while it was apart and found a good bit of road debris in the fins that had to be flushed from the back side. Small amount of corrosion at the inlet.
Changed plugs, coolant and air filter.
A big thanks to all who rendered assistance.
It would have been much more difficult without the posted info.
The bike seems even faster, don’t know if it’s just in my head, my willing to push it a a little more now or maybe the dirty old air cleaner was restricting air flow.
Frank

Top Bottom