Flat tires

STOC #
The first flat tire I had was back in 1983 on my Honda 550/4 rear tire. What a PITA to fix with tubes but that was how it was.
Never had one on my gold wings.
Next one was yesterday almost 40 yrs later.
Out for nice 500klm ride and noticed front end felt a little different until I hit a roundabout and the bike wouldn’t lean or turn much at all which was a big surprise. OOPS, maybe I have a flat? Stopped checked tire pressure and yep 10lbs. Some glass in middle of tire.
Had slime tire pump and kit in bag where it has sat for 6yrs. Everything worked like a charm and pump was quick (few minutes) and didn’t get hot.
TPMS wasn’t on as batteries are dead and not too easy to find.
PR4GT tires have 16k klm on them.
Some may have done this many times, but was a first for me.
So very glad for tubeless tires.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I used to choose bikes because they had tubeless tires….that changed when I was stranded a couple times with serious tire damage. You can’t plug a large slice in the tire from a flat piece of metal, sharp rock edge, or pot hole damage etc.
After 20k miles on my CRF 250L dual sport here in the Arizona desert, and having flats from razor blades, saw blades, rocks, and all kinds of sharp stuff.
I find it much easier to carry a spare tube, and a patch kit.
I have rescued a few folks on bikes with tubeless tires and cracked or damaged rims, and got them home safely by putting a tube in their tire.
Even on my ST when traveling cross country, I carry a tube that can be put inside the tire if I need to make an emergency tire repair.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
I used to choose bikes because they had tubeless tires….that changed when I was stranded a couple times with serious tire damage. You can’t plug a large slice in the tire from a flat piece of metal, sharp rock edge, or pot hole damage etc.
After 20k miles on my CRF 250L dual sport here in the Arizona desert, and having flats from razor blades, saw blades, rocks, and all kinds of sharp stuff.
I find it much easier to carry a spare tube, and a patch kit.
I have rescued a few folks on bikes with tubeless tires and cracked or damaged rims, and got the home safely by putting a tube in their tire.
Even on my ST when traveling cross country, I carry a tube that can be put inside the tire if I need to make an emergency tire repair.
Never got into off road riding. Maybe because only bikes I used for that were the following pics. Too heavy. Fell multiple times. Haha
E8BED454-62F6-4C27-B78E-D2262F40DFC2.jpegO966254DD-8420-41A5-BF25-4A52CC262F3D.jpeg

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Beautiful triumph!
I had the set of SL’s back in the 70’s
SL 70, SL 100, SL 125 (turtle chaser) and the SL350.
Never did find the 175.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
Much of my riding in the 80s and 90s was in the dirt, forest service roads, goat trails, and single track in the mountains of northern CA. I think it makes one a better rider. I had many dirt bikes and dual sports. By far the best was an 88 XT 600 I bought for $250 bucks. I still have a couple of dual sports, a Honda TLR 200 and a Honda XL 350R. Both are in good running condition.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Much of my riding in the 80s and 90s was in the dirt, forest service roads, goat trails, and single track in the mountains of northern CA. I think it makes one a better rider. I had many dirt bikes and dual sports. By far the best was an 88 XT 600 I bought for $250 bucks. I still have a couple of dual sports, a Honda TLR 200 and a Honda XL 350R. Both are in good running condition.
Me too!
my father used to climb all those huge hills going over to the town of Tracy, or along I-5.
Is your TLR a Reflex, or a real TLR trials bike?
I restored a real TLR 200 doing a frame up restoration.
Rear set pegs, one piece tank/side panels etc.
Ended up selling it to a vintage trials collector before I ever got a chance to compete on it.
Between my montesa cota and bultaco Sherpa T, the TLR was my favorite.
Also had a Yamaha TY350 and Suzuki RL.
I have been thinking about buying a gas gas 200 pro that’s been on Craigslist, but I’d probably just hurt myself at my age :rofl1:

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
The TLR is the REFLEX, I think. They only made them two years, 86-87. The only thing wrong with it is the rear brake pedal that yo step on is broken. pout a bolt thru the shaft so I have a rear brake. Been trying to find one but no luck so far. I had an XR 200R that I gave to my son in west texas. HE STILL RIDES IT. In all my years of riding, I have yet to have a flat tire on the rosd.

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
Beautiful triumph!
I had the set of SL’s back in the 70’s
SL 70, SL 100, SL 125 (turtle chaser) and the SL350.
Never did find the 175.
Unfortunately those two pics are off the net. Don’t have pics of actual bikes. Learned how to ride on the triumph 250.

Top Bottom