Food for thought on long distance riding

Good video. He does a good job. I've ridden all my life but I'm fairly new to touring. What works for me is sticking to the plan. Every 200 miles, a break and 300 on the last leg hasn't been a problem as the evening rest is a good goal to dangle in my mind. A piece of fruit or some decent snack with a either water or a hydrating drink on the break and maybe walk around a little. I wish more gas station marts carried G2 Gatorade; less sweet and to me much more refreshing. Funny I do the same stretch moves he mentions; I thought that was my creation lol. I will also do sets of partial squats raising a couple inches off of the seat, seems to regenerate the butt well. I have no intention of ever going 1000 miles in a day. 700 a day gets me where I'm headed and I enjoy the experience much more.

Every 200 miles, a break and 300 on the last leg hasn't been a problem as the evening rest is a good goal to dangle in my mind. A piece of fruit or some decent snack with a either water or a hydrating drink on the break and maybe walk around a little.... I have no intention of ever going 1000 miles in a day. 700 a day gets me where I'm headed and I enjoy the experience much more.
That how I roll including the G2 (throttle tamer and Gator Ade). I think I've done only two 800mi days and those were last leg days and a little more than I'd like.

Riding any distance is done with my two riding buddies and we like to finish a leg before dusk when various critters wander out. My ST buddy has three deer hits to his previous ST. None have taken it down though.

As one who has experienced first hand dehydration it is no joke. I won't go into the long detail but the first thing that i pack on my bike is a 6 pack of water and drink a bottle or two every 100 to 150 miles. very scarry when you go to pee and what little comes out looks the color of dark coffee with cream in it.
Too much information man. Lol.... :rofl1:

When we were in Colorado a few years ago Cherie got dehydrated and it took 3 or 4 days for her to regain normality. I went to a pharmacy and the pharmacist told me to have her drink water and every third bottle add about quarter Gatorade and continue this until she felt she could drink no more and then drink some more. When I asked about Gatorade she said not to drink it straight but in the ratio she suggested. Not sure what the reasoning was but it did help.

I realize I might be bending this thread a bit but I believe it's relevant. I did arrange a consult appt with my Dr over my incident last Sunday and met with him this morning. We carefully detailed everything that occurred up to and after my event. I shared pictures of my full textile gear and the bike so he could get a feel for the type of gear I was wearing and the degree of airflow I experience on the ST.

His early assessment is that it was heat exhaustion primary with dehydration secondary. While both often go hand in hand, there is a difference. He said there is nothing in my description that leads to any major heart event. An EKG and blood draw was performed during the appt and he is going to arrange for a CT Scan and 2 week heart monitor. I think he felt the need to convince me but I was totally on board. We both agreed I probably should not get on the bike for any long ride until we can eliminate everything else.

His early assessment is that it was heat exhaustion primary with dehydration secondary.
Here's hoping all the tests will confirm that or at least eliminate any other problems leaving that as the only probable cause. Best wishes.

I have been doing all the suggestions for sometime now...
I still recall how I got stared at, yet even flamed for attending my first few MSL's in the 90ies with panniers, topcase and tankbag stuffed with clothes/laundry plus a pillion aboard...
People also rejecting tunes... well, there you go, they do help me to stay alert... easy recognizable tunes with some rhythm that won't occupy my mind...
Due to my occupation I'm used to work in moderate to extreme heat, hence always hydrate a LOT and eat light, plus: I've learned to observe my body's signals...
I also see selecting scenic, diversified, technically challenging routes over boring motorways as essential...

Back
Top Bottom