Fork oil and spring preasure on plugs?

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I am changing my for oil today and it is BLACK! 42k and most likely the first change. I am not pulling the whole thing apart, just drain measure and refill. Well flush now too, it will have to be with 7.5 wt oil, all I have on hand. I am going to replace the springs at the end of July along with a full rebuild of the front end. I was unscrewing the left plug and got to thinking, is this thing about to hurt:eek:: So how much preasure do I need to be ready for?

STranger

Jay Knight
Bike
99 ST1100
STOC #
As long as the front wheel is off the ground it won't be bad. Make sure to pull the fork cap off first.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
If you are rebuilding the front in a few weeks why do the work twice ??? let it go whats another few miles at this point ?

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
If you are rebuilding the front in a few weeks why do the work twice ??? let it go whats another few miles at this point ?
Good point, but I wanted to see if I can tell the difference with just the oil change..........and I was bored!

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Well , I got the left side done and now on the right side, I unscrewed the cap and now it will not come off of the shaft inside the fork tube. Any ideas?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Compress the fork a little, pushing the cap upward from the top of the tube, and you will see that the cap is screwed to the damper rod on that side. You'll have to get an open ended wrench in there and hold the damper rod lock nut to get the cap off. If the other side has been reassembled, I've managed this by letting my floor jack down a little, or in a pinch putting the bike on the side stand.

Be careful not to ram the cap up into the brake line hoses and wire harnesses when you do this.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks for the info. I ended up just filling the tube with the cap still on the shaft. Just got back from a 30 mile ride and I like the feel, better than it was, but still a lot of travel in the front end.

Top Bottom