Found a way to install carbs

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I got mine back together last night and had problems getting the second side down. I came up with a possibly new way to press the 2nd side of the carbs into place. I hooked a 4" c-clamp around the frame (loosely) as a fulcrum for a prybar to press on the plenum and they pressed right in. I put a thin piece of wood to spread out the force on the plenum. Lift on prybar, down goes carbs, much easier on the hands too! I guess you could use a piece of rope or thin chain instead of a c-clamp around the frame for the fulcrum. Watch for hoses and wires obviously.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
... 4" c-clamp ... ?!! :scared2:

Just give them (new!) isolators/carb boots a good smear of silicone grease (even some Vaseline might do, but the silicone stuff nurtures and preserves the rubber) and they pop right in...

Old/aged ones are hard, prone of cracking (nasty vacuum leaks!) and make removal & installation of the carb-bank a PITA...

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Yep, I put on a silicone based grease - I got the right side in OK but the lefts were having none of it. The c-clamp isn't actually clamped to anything - just basically hooking the underside of the frame. The prybar presses up against the opposite/inside end of the clamp - carbs went in like butter with very little effort.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
My experience: leave the air cleaner cover on, ST on centerstand, stand on the foot pegs, seat one side and push down to seat the other. FWIW I'm reluctant to 'pry' or 'lever' anywhere on the carb bodies.

John
via iPhone 6

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I'm pushing down on the plenum box same as you are via the plastic airbox. I'm spreading the press force out with a piece of wood .

Bike
92 ST1100
I got mine back together last night and had problems getting the second side down. I came up with a possibly new way to press the 2nd side of the carbs into place. I hooked a 4" c-clamp around the frame (loosely) as a fulcrum for a prybar to press on the plenum and they pressed right in. I put a thin piece of wood to spread out the force on the plenum. Lift on prybar, down goes carbs, much easier on the hands too! I guess you could use a piece of rope or thin chain instead of a c-clamp around the frame for the fulcrum. Watch for hoses and wires obviously.
A way eiser way, specially in boota are new is spray some silicone inside boot lips, start on bank sied an then the other Then push down firmly and the whole mess WILL pop in place. OMG, your kidding!

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Not all rubber is oil / grease resistant. Oil / grease can cause some rubber to swell and / or soften. But using dielectric ( silicon ) grease won't effect the rubber boots so it's safe to use.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
John :

Please elaborate - Push down exactly how ( where exactly do you apply the force ) ??
While standing on the rider footpegs, lean over and grasp the sides of the air cleaner, straighten your arms and using the weight of your upper body, push down. BTDTx2 Dunno how to explain it better than that...

John
via iPhone 6

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
While standing on the rider footpegs, lean over and grasp the sides of the air cleaner, straighten your arms and using the weight of your upper body, push down.
You might also try to place the palm of both hands on the edge of the carb housing and grab the frame rail with your fingers while applying your torso weight... works with my big pawns...
(similar for removing: fingers under the carb housing, thumbs on mentioned frame tube... plop! Out they are... )

Any rubber components manufactured to be used in or around a fuel system would be a petroleum friendly product friend.

Last edited:
Top Bottom