Found on Reddit, how they make oil filters in India...

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I can only imagine the mark up and profit places like Champion Labs and Fram Filtronics are making.
Those look like filters for Royal Enfield motorcycles.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I felt sorry for the guy spot welding the end caps on without wearing glasses :scared2:

OP
OP
Beeflips

Beeflips

(it's me...Greg) Returning some videotapes
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
I felt sorry for the guy spot welding the end caps on without wearing glasses :scared2:
He's probably capable of wearing safety glasses (looks like a grown man), I'm gonna guess that safety glasses in India are like a Christmas fruitcake, there's on one pair in existence :doh1:

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Yeah, but would you want one of those on your bike?
How do you know that is not what you have? I expect that they can put any label/number/color on it you ask for.
That being said, I only buy/use name brands that have supposedly been vetted (eg. by Calsci). I have never cut one open but at some point you just have to have a bit of faith I suppose.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
How do you know that is not what you have? I expect that they can put any label/number/color on it you ask for.
That being said, I only buy/use name brands that have supposedly been vetted (eg. by Calsci). I have never cut one open but at some point you just have to have a bit of faith I suppose.
Because I research where mine are made, who makes them, back pressure release valve pressure, and I cut them open to make sure I'm getting what I'm paying for ;)

Because I research where mine are made, who makes them, back pressure release valve pressure,

... and I cut them open to make sure I'm getting what I'm paying for ;)
So you cut them open to verify authenticity ... but now you have a non-working filter that can't be installed :)

I've always questioned these videos... for example here's one showing the manufacture of motorcycle gas tanks ... there's a lot of "throwing" the product around ...

In the last few minutes, a person checks for any possible leaks in a tub of water, then throws the tank on the dirt floor ... would never buy that bike.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Because I research where mine are made, who makes them, back pressure release valve pressure, and I cut them open to make sure I'm getting what I'm paying for ;)
Except for the cutting open part, that is what I do (or rely on someone like CalSci to do it). My point was that there has been a significant shift in domestic manufacturing to offshore sources in the last couple of decades so what may have been made here, in the past, may not be made here anymore. Unless you buy 2 of the same lot number and cut one open, you cannot be 100% sure.;)

Purolator's Pure One filters are/were a favorite of many on this site.
Here is some interesting things about Purolator and their filters. The second link is very interesting.
here is a snippet
1670625959781.png

Makes determining where the filter you pick up off the shelf is made a bit difficult. Sure have to read the label close and hope that is says more than "assembled" locally.

Top Bottom