Found the leak!

Bike
2007 ST1300
Well, after seeing a few drips of antifreeze on the garage floor I went ahead and removed all the tupperware and radiator. Sure enough the leak is from the top radiator hose where it fits on the thermostat body.

I think I could have fixed this leak by just snugging the clamp. It was not loose but needed snugging. It seems to me that a good preventative measure for this would be to pull the radiator out after a few years and just snug the clamps.

But the bike is new to me (2007 with 25K) so I am going to replace the thermostat while it is all apart.

The service manual says to remove the tank and throttle bodies but I just removed the cover of the thermostat housing to gain access. The two bolts were pretty tight from oxidation but I just held the assembly with my hand and stuck a piece of wood in for support. Why would the service manual advise going to all the trouble to remove the gas tank and throttle bodies? I'm going to trust the other hoses but replace the two radiator hoses.

Does this approach seem sensible to you guys who know these bikes?

Bob

Last edited:

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
trouble to remove the gas tank and throttle bodies?
This is not it, but think of the flat rate hours to do it that way. $$$$ Glad you did not trust the manual. This site has saved me many hours with the short cuts many have found.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That's a pretty well known inaccuracy with the manual.. just pulling the radiator gives you enough access.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
While your in there you may want to remove both large hoses and take some scotchbrite pads and clean the black paint out of the inlets before it works its way into the system and clogs up your new t-stat.
Also loosen the two smaller hoses that attatch to the housing and check to make sure the platting is not rusting or pitting.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
While your in there you may want to remove both large hoses and take some scotchbrite pads and clean the black paint out of the inlets before it works its way into the system and clogs up your new t-stat.
Also loosen the two smaller hoses that attatch to the housing and check to make sure the platting is not rusting or pitting.
OK, Thanks. Good suggestions and since this is such a large job, I want to get it right.

And on the thermostat access issue, It seems like the Honda designers were thinking and made the thermostat replacement relatively easy. I will use a dab of anti seize on the bolts so they come out a little easier next time.

Top Bottom