Free Technical Information

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
This is a great source for Free Technical Information.

http://www.autoshop101.com/
https://www.princeton.edu/ssp/64-tiger-cub-1/64-data/combustion-chemistry.pdf

As some of you know I had another Life and Career in the Automotive Field.
I hold an AA Degree in Automotive Technology and have over 25 years experience in that field. I Was an ASE Certified Master Technician with an L1 Certificate, a Toyota Master Technician and a Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician.
I've been out of the Mechanical Career Field for over 12 years and I am now a Registered Respiratory Therapist.
The Website listed above has thousands of pages of free information used in the factory training of Toyota and Lexus Techs. This information could be very useful in understanding how our Motorcycles Operate. I see posts that demonstrate that sometimes our members are applying faulty logic and reasoning in their Diagnostics and Decision Making Process Regarding the Mechanical Operation of their Bikes. I just posted on one of the Threads with some information that could be helpful. You can go to the above Website and research how an O2 sensor works. More about Brakes and Anti-Lock Systems than you want to know. There are 18 study Modules on electrical systems. There is one 9 page module on the Chemistry of Combustion. When I'm looking for answers to a problem I have, I often go to this Free Site for very up to date information. Not everything applies to motorcycles and sometimes Automotive is more advanced than we are, but we will be there.
I'm not very smart sometimes, But I Know Where To Look!
I hope that this site could help clear some muddy water or make someones day simpler.

Last edited:

DaveyB

Thanks for posting a great resource ... added to bookmarks and I've got a lot of reading to do!!!

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
The information is very basic and uncomplicated in presentation so should be a very useable reference for anyone wishing to build an understanding of systems.

Many of the references on the web are either to complex/technical for anyone but those in the business or so basic as to be useless. This one fills a niche which would be helpful to many people. It could also serve as a refresher for a technician who has been out of one subject area for an extended time. What I saw is not to the level of our national trades standards in automotive but that clearly is not what is intended.

Excellent post. Would it be OK to post the link to My-Mc and other ST sites?

Norm

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Nice link and some of us also have Toyotas and Lexi as well! Thanks, made a bookmark for that one!

OP
OP
ST1300 Alicia

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
The information is very basic and uncomplicated in presentation so should be a very useable reference for anyone wishing to build an understanding of systems.

Many of the references on the web are either to complex/technical for anyone but those in the business or so basic as to be useless. This one fills a niche which would be helpful to many people. It could also serve as a refresher for a technician who has been out of one subject area for an extended time. What I saw is not to the level of our national trades standards in automotive but that clearly is not what is intended.

Excellent post. Would it be OK to post the link to My-Mc and other ST sites?

Norm
Hi Norm
I'm sure it would be OK to post to other sites. It's easy to find and has no Password! This material is from the T-TEN (Toyota-Technical Education Network) Apprenticeship Program. It is designed for the entry level technicians. There are other programs designed to prepare one for the ASE Battery of Tests.

Back in 1993 or 1994 I was offered a teaching position in this program at this College. I wish that I could have accepted that position. However, They offered me less than I was making in Clovis and I would have had to move to the Bay Area. Ah, Back In The Day. No, That is a Different Thread, Isn't It?

Ride Safe
Alicia

Bike
'04 ST1300,
Hi. I just clicked on the combustion chemistry link and got an internal server error message. Would you have a more updated link?

cheers.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I see posts that demonstrate that sometimes our members are applying faulty logic and reasoning in their Diagnostics and Decision Making Process Regarding the Mechanical Operation of their Bikes... I hope that this site could help clear some muddy water or make someones day simpler.
In part of that Other Life did you do any service in the Diplomatic Corp? :D

Just a Bump. This site is still active and Very Informative. Some of it has been updated and some has been moved. Here is the Latest information that I have.
Informative about "what"?

Have not tapped on those links, now, nor in the past.

You've been reposting this "Just a Bump" with links, without any overview what any of this offers folks. Am I gonna read a dissertation?

Sorry, not going back to the beginning : )

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
The Website listed above has thousands of pages of free information used in the factory training of Toyota and Lexus Techs. This information could be very useful in understanding how our Motorcycles Operate.

You can go to the above Website and research how an O2 sensor works. More about Brakes and Anti-Lock Systems than you want to know. There are 18 study Modules on electrical systems. There is one 9 page module on the Chemistry of Combustion.

OP
OP
ST1300 Alicia

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
The

Have not tapped on those links, now, nor in the past.

You've been reposting this "Just a Bump" with links, without any overview what any of this offers folks. Am I gonna read a dissertation?

Sorry, not going back to the beginning : )
The Information as was stated earlier in the Thread is regarding the Technical Operation of Mechanical Devices. The first Link is Originally from Skyline College in San Bruno California. If you are interested in how Fuel Injection Works or how O2 Sensors Function this is a great source of Information. I posted it in 2011 after reading many misconceptions passed along on the Internet and this Forum. If you're interested in the "Chemistry of Combustion" that is also a great Read. If your not Interested in the Technical Aspects of Stoichiometry, Combustion Chemistry, Electricity and Electronics then none of this will be of interest to you. I bumped it once in 2019 and again earlier this Month.
Including this reply there are only 16 posts so its not a very big or long thread. I have to thank "ST11Nut" for updating the links to "Princeton.edu" in 2019 as the Original Links I had posted had gone Dormant. For those who are interested in Engineering and Technology there is some great FREE Information. For those who just want their bike to Start and Ride this will be of No Value whatsoever. I post this in an Effort to help people who have Questions. It's not Spam, I do not benefit in any way from anyone clicking the Links. I do not hold a Copyright on any of the material. It's just Good Free Stuff that becomes even more appropriate as Motorcycle Technology Evolves. Please Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom