Front Axle mistake.

I check in nearly every day but seldom post but... I had to share so it doesn't happen to you.

:oops:

I put new tires on the bike. I removed and replaced the wheels myself. While The wheels were off I looked at the brakes and the were in need of replacement. I called a good friend who is a Honda mechanic. Knowing my mechanical abilities he said " Take it to the shop". So yesterday I dropped the bike off at the shop and got all new brakes and all new fluids since it was there. It's an '03 with way to few miles on it.

I come to pick up the bike and the mechanic is just taking it out for the test ride. He comes back and puts it back up on the stand and I don't see him for a half an hour.

On his test ride as he came back to the shop the mechanic noticed the bike surging just a little as he pulled in. Seems when I put the front axle back on I didn't get it flush with the left axle before I tightened it up. It stuck out to the left about 1 mm. Turns out the spacer ground off a little of the fork leg on the inside left down tube. To cover himself and the shop, he did the right thing, he mentioned I could have a warped rotor and maybe the disc carrier could be bent. ****! Then he said maybe not because the brakes were worn and the rotor might not have even been touched.

I thought tightening the axle nut would have pulled the axle through but maybe I had already tightened the pinch bolts on the left side. I just don't know.

So I rode the bike home. Constantly pulling in the clutch to see if the brakes were dragging. I didn't want the front wheel to lock up. No problems though. Soon as I got home I grabbed the front rotors, gently, to see if they were hot. They were but so was the back rotor. It was only a 21 mile ride from the shop to home. The wheels spun easily enough although you can hear the drag.

Soon as my neighbor sticks his head out the door I'll have him sit on the bike and I'll spin the front wheel and put some sort of indicator to see if the left front rotor is warped.

So and to your check list, make sure the axle is flush with the left fork tube.

DAMHIK

Bill

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
If it's bent you should feel a pulse in the front when you apply the brakes. And if it spun w/o rubbing you're probably fine.
Can't hurt to check it with a dial indicator or a piece of wire clamped to the fork leg.

OP
OP
xmailman
Took the bike out for a 60 mile ride. Stopped a number of times to feel the heat on the rotors. They were above warm but I could grab them and hold on to all 3 rotors. When you roll it into the garage you can still here the drag.

I have no idea if the bike did this when new. I jumped on it and rode 350 miles to my daughters house.

Tomorrow I ride it to Stockton, Ca. for the Mile Race and back home. Around 270 miles total.I'll keep you informed.

Took the bike out for a 60 mile ride. Stopped a number of times to feel the heat on the rotors. They were above warm but I could grab them and hold on to all 3 rotors. When you roll it into the garage you can still here the drag.

I have no idea if the bike did this when new. I jumped on it and rode 350 miles to my daughters house.

Tomorrow I ride it to Stockton, Ca. for the Mile Race and back home. Around 270 miles total.I'll keep you informed.
Is the drag definitely from the front ? If it’s from the rear you may want to check the secondary master cylinder for proper operation. My bike had a very slight drag on the rear and the smc on the front was the culprit.

Bike
2005 st1300
Is the drag definitely from the front ? If it’s from the rear you may want to check the secondary master cylinder for proper operation. My bike had a very slight drag on the rear and the smc on the front was the culprit.
Just a heads up, I don't think you're likely to get an answer from him ... he hasn't been here in 11 years

Top Bottom