Front fork to front axle truing up

Bike
2007 ST1300
Many thanks to Larry Igofar.
Larry helped me true up my front forks yesterday and this video is the after results.
I did not get the before situation but I can tell you it took a good guerrilla grip and pretty strong forearms just to rotate the axle about a half of a turn.:mad:

My bike always pulled fairly hard to the right and had some cupping of the front tire-- not much -- but if I took my hands off the grips it would change lanes in about 7 seconds..
With out even knowing Larry inquired about it to me. Oh "of course" the bike drifts I said.. He said "want to fix that ?"-- I said by all means..Please
So he said take off your front wheel and call me back.. And off I went and I removed the wheel and called back...
He said do you have to use a mallet or the palm of your hand to put the axle through or pull it out of the front forks? Embarrassingly I said "yes".:doh1:
Larry said "don't worry we are going to fix that for you today". :run1:
And so Larry took me through the step by step process, which is kinda detailed and I even had to have my wife help at one point (because I only have 2 hands) -- darn it...:rofl1:
We went through the process but my axle was still pretty tight. Through brake line tweaking and bracket adjustments on the forks I was able to nail it.....

Here is the video of after the adjustment.
I can use my thumb and forefinger to easily rotate my axle while between the forks with all the brake lines, calipers and brackets tight..
Now I have not rode it yet so I will follow up with on road results later..
The next time you have your front wheel off try to do what I am doing in the video -- If you cannot or it is really tight-- you will need to true up the forks to the axle..

Enjoy

Last edited:
Hi There,

Can this axle tuneup be found somewhere?
I have the same (pulling) issue and so far have not been able to resolve it despite applying several methods.
I Would appreciate the info.

grt,
Vincent

OP
OP
ST-Traveler
Bike
2007 ST1300
Hi There,

Can this axle tuneup be found somewhere?
I have the same (pulling) issue and so far have not been able to resolve it despite applying several methods.
I Would appreciate the info.

grt,
Vincent
Yes - its Larry @Igofar contact him and he can walk you through the procedure.
Just remove your front wheel and then call the "white courtesy phone" hot line. :biggrin:

well , I tried it, shaft is perfectly aligned.
cleaned it up, and removed a little unroundines from the hole where the shaft goes in.
it's really easy to remove now, so that is worth the 15 minutes work.

Everything aligned. even the fork top end (crown plate), but unfortunately to no avail.
bike still wants to go right..

back to suitcase with 6kg bike chain.

regards, and thanks for the help:slv13:

vincent

Top Bottom