Front Forks Showa?

Bike
05 ST1300
I bought my 05 a few years ago used, and a few weeks ago, when I was at roadriderg's doing my brakes, I noticed these green labels on the inside of both of my front forks. I seem to remember seeing some kind of label on my rear shock as well, but can't remember what it is. The front fork labels both have the brand name SHOWA, and then there's a number below that that reads MCS-GO3, which looks like a part number.

I thought maybe the previous owner did a suspension upgrade and maybe this was the decal that came in the upgrade parts kit. But I thought SHOWA was to do with pedal bikes. Anybody know what this could be?

I'm going to be going through the front forks here soon as one of the fork seals is leaking. Anything I could look out for to tell if it is an upgrade? Without a known factory fork assembly, I'd have nothing to compare it to.

Looking at those photos, wow, is that thing dirty. I haven't cleaned it yet, since I got back from my foray in the southern states.
That'll get a good going-over when I take it apart to do the seals.

I posted this and then I googled SHOWA and I guessed right - it's a company that's been around since 1938 and their product lne-up includes aftermarket motorcycle suspension upgrades. DOH--

Attachments

Last edited:

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm under the impression that Honda has owned Showa for some time. Yes those are the stockers.

Don't tell any of the HD guys but a lot of their "American bikes" sport Showa forks and shocks too.

Raymond

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I remember my 76 CR125 had Showa's on it. They weren't very good but nothing was back then. (Ok, I'll give Fox a nod here though.)

When in doubt, Wiki!

Top Bottom