Front forks spring seat missing on left side

Hi all, so ive removed the forks from the bike to flush the oil.. Easy job i know.. However, when reassembling the left fork, ive noticed the spring seat washer is missing. This means the spacer is sitting directly on top of thr spring. On the attached pic, this washer is referred to as no. 4. It must be that a previous 'mechanic' ommitted to replace the seat washer.

It doesnt seem to have damaged the spacer so given how many miles that have been done on it without the washer then i guess its not a big issue. However, i would prefer to replace it as the spring wont be compressed as much without it.

Anyone know the part no. for this washer so i can try and get one online?

Attachments

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Here is the part. But, you could just go get a washer of the correct size. It just needs to be big enough to sit under the tube and over the spring and still go in the fork tube. I have 3 or 4 extra washers in mine just the add a bit of tension to the spring. Actually once the parts are attached there is no movement in that spacer area. It's fixed and none of that above the "plate, spring joint" moves in the fork tube.

Obviously as your bike shows you don't even have to have the part in there as long as the spring doesn't pass the tube. I would put something in there (a washer).

PLATE, SPRING JOINT
51403-MBR-003

Last edited:
OP
OP
Here is the part. But, you could just go get a washer of the correct size. It just needs to be big enough to sit under the tube and over the spring and still go in the fork tube. I have 3 or 4 extra washers in mine just the add a bit of tension to the spring. Actually once the parts are attached there is no movement in that spacer area. It's fixed and none of that above the "plate, spring joint" moves in the fork tube.

Obviously as your bike shows you don't even have to have the part in there as long as the spring doesn't pass the tube. I would put something in there (a washer).

PLATE, SPRING JOINT
51403-MBR-003

Thanks buddy, thats really helpful and makes sense. Do you happen to know the outside diameter and thickness of the washer and i will have a look in toolbox or local hardware?

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Looks like he’s got an ST1100:

PLATE, SPRING JOINT
51404-MB4-003

I don’t know the dimensions but the fork tubes on a standard and early ABS models are 41mm, later ABS models are 43mm.

John

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks buddy, thats really helpful and makes sense. Do you happen to know the outside diameter and thickness of the washer and i will have a look in toolbox or local hardware?
I don't remember what I bought. Just take the spacer tube and find one close if possible. Any normal flat washer thickness will work. .083"?

Top Bottom