Front shocks don't seem to absorb the road.

I am trying to figure out what is going on with the front suspension on my 05 ST. On some roads, not all roads, the front seems to be bouncing alot. Kinda like a whole road full of tiny speed bumps. I admit I don't have a clue about the adjustments my bike has as I can dial in the rear shock from full on to all out and I don't notice anything. I know, my bad. I can see the front fork and when I feel the bouncing thing going on the forks don't seem to be moving. I can't bottom them out by trying and they do move but not while on the road... Any takers on this?

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
First you'll need to get your SAG measured.

That will tell you if you have springs that are proper for your weight.

My advice to you is to seek out a shop that deals with suspension work and that can help you get things proper.

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
The forks on the ST13 don't have any adjustments like preload, compression, or rebound damping. Like Rob mentioned you need to get your sag set right to start with. You can adjust your preload by changing the spacer inside the fork tube. Not really an easy thing to do on the ST13 since you have to take the handlebars off to get to the fork caps. Although some handlebar risers allow you access to the caps. You can also change the oil level to get a little more or less compression damping. The basic idea behind changing the oil levels in the forks is simple compression. The more oil there is, the less air volume. And with less air volume, it become more difficult to compress.

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
How many miles on the bike? I'd say, because the ST is quite undersprung to begin with, just buy some sonic springs 1.2kg and follow the directions from them, along with reading what others have done on this board, and all should be well.

Note though, as a part of the process, it would be wise to measure sag before and after (there's a method to follow to do this correctly). As mentioned, the ST has no adjustment in the front, so the length of the spacer and the weight of the oil, combined with what size springs (1.2 is the highly recommended one), and how heavy you are geared up, will all combine to result in "sag".

It's not as bad or difficult as it sounds. Numerous people, including myself, have put sonic springs on their ST's. It's a massive help, the bike really does need stronger springs. I think the stock are like a .92 iirc, too soft for this heavy of a bike.

good luck with it,

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
Slayer, do you have a fork brace?

Recently removed the front wheel?

Give us some history on the bike.

Accidents?

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
You can spend all day with sag adjustment,changing oil weight and springs...you'll get close but the best thing to do is change the valving and spring then fine tune with different weight oil.

It's a lobor of love, has to be because it's a PIA but once done it's like night and day.

Mike

Bike
2005 ST1300
1st check your tires...Pressure and tread good?
2nd, have you changed the fork oil and how many miles are on it?

I too have an 05 and I currently have a leaking seal that needs to be fixed/changed...I have 97,000 miles and am starting to feel the 'mini vibs' and attributing it to the oil..Thats going to get fixed asap..

luoma

VE6 CKV
STOC #
I had a similar problem a few years ago and finally stopped at a auto parts store and borrowed an allen wrench and wrench to fit the axle nut as I suspected that the forks were binding. As it turned out they were and after properly retightening everything the problem was gone. Wonder why them bike shops find it so hard to learn the correct sequence to re-installing a wheel after a tire change. Good luck

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I can dial in the rear shock from full on to all out and I don't notice anything.
You should feel a difference when you go all in or out with the rear shock. Do you feel a resistance in the adjuster? A free wheeling adjuster could indicate a leak in the adjuster.

Top Bottom