Front Tire Pressure Metzeler Z-6's?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I installed a pair of Z-6's yesterday and the shop aired them to 42/42. They replaced a pair of Michelin Pilot Roads. At 6,000 miles I had some more miles left in the PR's but with a trip to mountains just over the horizon I elected to change out now.

I ran the PR's at 36/42 and had no tire wear problems through 6,000 miles. I had noticed the "seam" to the right of center on the front but it did not wear unevenly. The front PR had 1/32" of depth left to the wear bars. I really liked the PR's but wanted to try the Z-6's as others like the quicker steering response they seem to offer over the PR's. I can always go back to the PR's next time.

Should I run 36/42 or something else with the Z-6's? I am 170#, ride mostly solo, and ride fairly aggressively (as much as Florida roads allow).

Bike
ST1300
I run my Pilot Roads at 42/42, and the front is wearing evenly. I was thinking about trying the Z-6's next, so I will be curious about your opinion of them versus the Roads.

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
I ran my Z6s at 42/42. I run my PRs at the same pressure. The Z6s turned-in a bit quicker than the PRs seem to -- did not make a scientific comparison, and the PR seem to provide a "softer", more compliant feel when on the highway. The dual compound Z6s wore down their off-center tread much more quickly than the center tread. IMHO this promoted fairly "squirrelly" handling on the soft dirt surfaces found on the sides of the tarmac of canyons and on snow when riding in a straight line. Oddly, corners were never a problem. This was very noticeable after 5K miles but not before. The Z6s were worn out on the sides by 6K miles.

Marshal

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
STPilot said:
How 'bout when it's 108 Norman.....:eek: :eek: :rolleyes:
If it is 108 in the morning when I check pressure, I will go back inside and not ride. Either that or I woke up in Phoenix. Actually that might be a little hard. I think it does get down to 102 at night. :D

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Tim,

I don't have a 13, yet, but I have heard the gas tank can get extremely hot. Was that where the face cooking heat came from?

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
STPilot said:
:crackup I hear that...

I spent about 2-1/2 hours on the bike yesterday afternoon, the last hour was 106.... :cus: OMG!! Never again... Heat issue? Yea I had an FN heat issue, it's called the sun....
Felt like someone mounted a heat gun on my dash pointed right at my face!!!
Sorry about setting you up for that ride! But I really appreciated your presence at my wedding... :)

Bob

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
STPilot said:
spent about 2-1/2 hours on the bike yesterday afternoon, the last hour was 106.... :cus: OMG!! Never again... Heat issue? Yea I had an FN heat issue, it's called the sun....
...and you have a stock shield also. You are a little smaller than me but still. When I was in the 108/109 I once stood on the pegs to stretch my legs. Ouch!:eek: The air at that temp and highway speed actually hurt. I was glad for some big glass to hide behind.

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
dduelin said:
I installed a pair of Z-6's yesterday and the shop aired them to 42/42. They replaced a pair of Michelin Pilot Roads. At 6,000 miles I had some more miles left in the PR's but with a trip to mountains just over the horizon I elected to change out now.

I ran the PR's at 36/42 and had no tire wear problems through 6,000 miles. I had noticed the "seam" to the right of center on the front but it did not wear unevenly. The front PR had 1/32" of depth left to the wear bars. I really liked the PR's but wanted to try the Z-6's as others like the quicker steering response they seem to offer over the PR's. I can always go back to the PR's next time.

I'm on my second set of Z6s and run them at 42/42. I do mostly commuting and highway miles so round them off more than I'd like. I try to get to the twisties when I can. I'm thinking of trying the PRs next time since it seems many really like that tire. Do some like the Z6 better than the PR?

JDP

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
jdpfms said:
dduelin said:

I'm on my second set of Z6s and run them at 42/42. I do mostly commuting and highway miles so round them off more than I'd like. I try to get to the twisties when I can. I'm thinking of trying the PRs next time since it seems many really like that tire. Do some like the Z6 better than the PR?

JDP
A search of tire threads here and elsewhere reveals some folks rate the Z-6's over the Pilot Roads due to the perceived quicker steering of the former. I don't have many miles on the Metz's but first impressions back up that supposition. In familar corners the new tires tend to tip-in or exhibit oversteer that require a small correction keep from turning in too much. Said another way, the initial countersteering input that used to work fine to set up the turn with the PR's is a little too much with the Z-6's - does that make sense? I'm sure I will get used to them but I haven't been able to ride much on them so far. The PR's gave me immense confidence both wet and dry and are great tires for the ST1300. I'm just trying something else after the OEM Bridgestones and the PR's. I'm trying 38/42 on the Z-6's for now.

Darth Vader

Pipe & Cigar Fan
STOC #
Metzler recommends 34F and 36R under the least amount of stress. I run 40/42 (no passenger) and am happy with the performance of the tire.

Top Bottom