Front tyre wear

Hi guys
I've got a st 1100 1996 t.
I've just fitted a brand new set of bridgestones bt 31 evo front & back .I'm very pleased with the grip/ feel of the tyres but seem to have wear in the middle of front tyre & back tyres . Only done about 800 miles. Just asking whether this is normal or not as previously I had the same thing happened to my previous set of BT 23's. The tyre pressure i normally keep 36 front 42 rear. Any info on this subject would be helpful. Thanks. Rob

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Is it excessively wearing in that short a time? Pictures? You might want to bump the front pressure to 38 psi. I've experienced cupping on the front at 36, but it seems to be better at 38.

I had the same problem with mine and Bridgestone BT tires. They would only last me 4000-5000 miles and they'd be very cupped on the sides and noisy. Eventually I started using the stock Bridgestone Exedras and they wear a lot better.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
Is it excessively wearing in that short a time? Pictures? You might want to bump the front pressure to 38 psi. I've experienced cupping on the front at 36, but it seems to be better at 38.
Many thanks for the info I shall try increasing the pressure to 38 psi as you suggested as I said it's only just showing wear in the centre of the tyre .definitely worth trying cheers.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I’ve been running the T31s for a couple of seasons and number of sets. I run mine at 42/42. That’s what works for me. I have observed that my tires wear out quicker depending on my location in Canada. The Provence’s that allow studded tires in the winter for automobiles have a rougher surface and chew up my tires more. The condition of the road surface will have an impact on these tires.
If the front is cupping as well, then it might be time to change the fork oil, and test the condition of steering head bearings.
I really like the T31s they have improved longevity since they first came out, check the date stamp to see how current the tire is.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi Robert:

Tyre wear is kind of a funny thing to evaluate, because many different things can affect wear.

I'm not familiar with your brand of tires, but it's possible that you might see what appears to be "rapid wear" during the first 800 miles as the very center part of the tire flattens out. As the contact patch becomes wider (due to that center wear), the rate of wear will probably decline.

You've got the pressures right (42 & 36) - the only other thing I can think of that is worth checking is to see if both wheels are rotating freely, meaning, brakes are not binding.

Michael

OP
OP
Hi Robert:

Tyre wear is kind of a funny thing to evaluate, because many different things can affect wear.

I'm not familiar with your brand of tires, but it's possible that you might see what appears to be "rapid wear" during the first 800 miles as the very center part of the tire flattens out. As the contact patch becomes wider (due to that center wear), the rate of wear will probably decline.

You've got the pressures right (42 & 36) - the only other thing I can think of that is worth checking is to see if both wheels are rotating freely, meaning, brakes are not binding.

Michael
Thanks Michael i shall monitor the tyre wear
Like you said it might settle down. Both wheels spin freely. I think I might increase the front tyre to 38 psi & keep the rear 42 as
Mainly ride solo but when my partner jumps on board I'd keep front the same but increase rear to 46 psi. Anyhow thanks for everyone's help.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks Michael i shall monitor the tyre wear
Like you said it might settle down. Both wheels spin freely. I think I might increase the front tyre to 38 psi & keep the rear 42 as
Mainly ride solo but when my partner jumps on board I'd keep front the same but increase rear to 46 psi. Anyhow thanks for everyone's help.
I'd suggest a re-think of 46 psi operation.

The Honda recommendation is 36/42 at all loads up to the rated capacity of the motorcycle.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/632683/Honda-St1100-1996Plus.html?page=26

The maximum recommended pressure for the T31 by Bridgestone is 42 psi...

https://www.bridgestonemotorcycletires.com/content/dam/motorcycle-tires/files/bridgetonemotorcycle-databook2019.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
Top Bottom