Front wheel not central with front mud guard

1692348371692.png

This drawing is taken from the Owners Handbook that comes with each ST1300.
I made measurement
left side on the picture more than1.5mm
right side more than 1 mm

So it is ok, not centred but ok >0.8mm

I will unscrew th pinch bolt left hand side fork and pump the suspension while breaking, and re tighten the pinch screw with no dynamoteric key ( i not will ride the bike anyway ).

to be continued

Last edited:
Progress!
Well done so far.
slowly very slowly
I put my pan on the central stand ( i am able to do it now :) ) and make front wheel turn Breaks are dragging same for the rear.
I let it like this thus The garagist will have to admit that something is wrong with Breaks in general.

Have a nice day
take care

Bike
2010 ST1300
slowly very slowly
I'm glad you are doing some of this stuff yourself. I hope you feell the satisfaction of doing a job correctly. All of us were, once upon a time, novices.

Don't overtighten the lower fork pinch bolts. I remember reading that someone did exactly that, the bolt broke and he had major difficulty getting the broken part out (or maybe he needed a new lower fork leg).

Hi
I got my pan back.

the rear brake has been serviced. Cleaned and they changed the rusty axle but did polish the piston.
I ordered a dynamometric key, i will check my self .
So far the rear brake is dragging after 80 km.
Called the mecanics: we did not place honda parts we used an another breaking pad brand they are a bit thicker so just do 100 km and it will be ok

??

Hello bad news,

I made 40 km a the rear wheel is making a periodic noise like the pads are touching the brake disc.

The brake disc is hot as hell even if I don t use the brake.

Re called the mechanic, things went wrong. Told him it is not ok, the non OEM pads and the truth of this transaction, he supposed to check the vehicle as a Honda dealer not done, how to assemble bearing and the axle he doesn't t know and so one. The trust is gone.

I am about to cancel the purchase and take my money back, Mecanic wants to cancel the transaction anyway.

My opinion is not qualified at all, he knows this, plus he knows that I have the right information to double checked his work and I am a pitbull.

So things went wrong, escalation.

Told him, I ll give me time to think about it, I ll take my decision next Monday.

I don t have many choices :

Using official procedure ( money, expert , stress )
trusting once again the mechanic and things will go the same way
cancel the transaction

I forgot to mention, Mecanic even said that I was not able to break correctly ( lol ), also said that I did heat up to much the pad so they are like glass now ( re lol ) and the first move at the starting point I did pinch the break while going backward so the SMC get cramp ( master lol ) and did blocked the rear wheel.

Enjoy

Take care.

Chuckychuck

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Brake pads heat up and bind up, because the rider isn't using the brake correctly.
Yeah, that's a new one on me.
Wonder if this mechanical fufus used to work for BMW Motorrad? 15 and 20 years ago, when a new model bike exhibited issues, it was "You're not riding it right."
First year fuel-injected F650 with surging and stalling.
Then with the R1200's and the "lifetime final drive lubrication" with the series of final drive failures.
Therfore, if we own a motorcycle and actually ride, anything that can happen to it HAS to be our fault.
Fire that dude immediately, if not sooner.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
If the brakes are installed properly and they are working properly...

Then when you brake, the discs will heat up. When you brake hard, they will heat up a lot. This is normal.

When you release the brakes, they should not drag. The discs will cool down.

The brakes should never drag when the lever or pedal is not applied. If they do, then I think that there is something wrong with them,
You have the opportunity to cancel the transaction and get your money back?

If I was in this position, I would get my money back and walk away. If someone is lying to me about work done; if they suggest that the dragging brakes are my fault; if they fit incorrect brake pads and suggest they will fit when they have wirn down a bit....
What else have they done that they are not telling you about?

When you have your money back, and you are considering another ST1300. Come back and talk to us. We can tell you some show-room checks that you can carry out.

Last edited:
Hi All,

You have the opportunity to cancel the transaction and get your money back?
the garage wants to cancel the transaction, I prepared the paper form this morning. Cross my fingers, to finalize this properly : getting all my money back.

I am a bit upset, as you said I don't even know what they have done to the bike. So Impossible to statue on what else could go wrong, don't want to gamble. I have not the skills ( yet ), time and money to go this way.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your support, if I go for another pan I ll for sure go here to get some advices.

That is a pity, end of story, just ride it 453 km.

take care
BTW here it is :

IMG_1330.JPG

Chuckychuck

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
You are thinking of it the wrong way.

You have just had a 453km test ride.
You know that you like the bike.
You know that dealers are not always trustworthy
You know what to look for
You know where to ask

All for free.

Keep your eyes open for a similar 2008 or later model ie st1300A8, A9, AE. Don't rely on year of registration. The clue is that slotted disk on the front wheel, right hand side. If it has a different design ring there it is earlier than 2008.

Mileage is not so much of an issue if it is well maintained. Mine has 65,000 miles and is in better condition than yours. It is a 2013 A9 model.

Last edited:
Good stuff.

Will you be looking for another ?
Hi,

Not sure for this year. I still have my 2021 CB650R so I can ride.

And I am a bit calmed down with this story, as long as I don't find the right one with the right person or garage. I am suspicious now.

Take care

Chuckychuck

Top Bottom