Front Wobble at Speed and Preload Adjustment

Byron

STOC #
I can't find my original post to update so I'll post the information here.

When I mounted some Continental Road Attack's on my ST1300 the first time I took it up to speed, above 2 digits, the front end because unstable and began to shake and wobble.

I wasn't sure what the cause was as this was the first time since I purchase the bike back in '06 that this had happened. I thought it could have been a bad wheel bearing that I might have missed at the tire change. I thought it might be loose steering head bearings. I thought it might have been a balance issue because I have a SmarTire sensor mounted on the wheel.

I have procrastinated in double checking any of these possible causes because it didn't become a problem unless you were into triple digit speeds. Then it struck me, after WeSTOC this year I backed off the preload on the rear shock once the bike was unloaded. So Monday after work I took it for a ride up into the canyon behind the house after cranking up the preload a little. It seemed to handle better in the turns but the next day there were no opportunities to test at speed. Tuesday I went up again and added some more preload and handling improved a little more. Wednesday night I cranked it up a little more and gave it another try. Things were feeling better so I went a little further from home so I could ride back on the freeway. The opportunity presented itself and the right wrist did the rest. Bingo! Rock steady again. The problem was in the preload setting and not in any of the other areas I mentioned earlier.

Even though I thought I had set the preload back to where it was before WeSTOC I was wrong. It took about 1 3/4 revolutions more to get the bike back to handling like it should at speed. The funny thing is that even with it set to soft the bike handled fine up to 80+ so when there was a little irregularity in the handling I just figured it was me or the new tires. Here is an example: When splitting lanes I'll ride the painted double yellow lines between the car pool lane and the #1 lane. With the soft setting the bike seemed to react more when getting on or off the painted surface. Now with the suspension set where it needs to be there is less reaction to the transitions going over the lines.

The reason I wanted to post this is for those that are experiencing wobble / head shake at speed on their bikes. If you are crank up the preload and see if that helps you. If your preload is cranked up all the way, as can be the case with heavier riders, and you still have a wobble / shake you may want to check into a new rear shock/spring to correct the under-sprung condition of the bike.

I hope this information helps.

Bike
VFR800
Very interesting Byron
My theory is the St becomes more stable as you raise the rear and/or lower the front

Laurens
99.99% of bikes handle better with more front weight. The ST especially because of all the air it catches. It basically takes all the weight off the front of the bike.

Ever notice it handles better with the windshield in the lowest position and worse with the windshield in the highest position.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Parallels my own experience Byron. I think the air resistance kinda pushes the bike back onto its rear wheel and lightens the front too much leading to the instability. Dialing up the rear preload prevents or reduces this and keeps more weight on the front.

100% Agreed. I noticed a slight, "wandering" above 70mph. Nothing too serious, but unnerving. I thought it was the new Avon Storms I just put on... then I set the rear preload to 1 1/2 inches of sag and the problem went away.

The only problem is that with the preload so high (I'm pushing the 300lb mark) the stock shock is terribly underdamped and feels fairly pogostick-like. Now I just need to lobby my wife to get that killer purple hyperpro shock...

Bike
2004 st abs
I have a Penske rear shock, but has anyone considered lengthening the stock shock.
It wouldn't be that hard to do it say 3/8 of an inch. Find someone who welds aluminum and weld a couple of pieces to the sides of the shock brackets with the proper size hole.
Then you could choose the preload that you actually wanted.
Laurens

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
100% Agreed. I noticed a slight, "wandering" above 70mph. Nothing too serious, but unnerving. I thought it was the new Avon Storms I just put on... then I set the rear preload to 1 1/2 inches of sag and the problem went away.

The only problem is that with the preload so high (I'm pushing the 300lb mark) the stock shock is terribly underdamped and feels fairly pogostick-like. Now I just need to lobby my wife to get that killer purple hyperpro shock...
When you increase preload, rebound damping should also be increased. Have you tried adjusting it firmer?
Posted via Mobile Device

I tried 1 turn out, 1/2 turn, and then 0 turns out on the rebound damping screw. I noticed a slight improvement at 0 turns, but still pretty pogostick. I got spoiled on my last bike with a nice WP in the back... one turn on either rebound and compression (high or low speed) and it was immediately apparent.

I just got back from my first major outing since purchasing this beauty in December, a 1100 mile weekend run to LA and back (love this bike!), and I should probably check the shock for leaks once I give her a bath.:tools1:

Bike
04 ST 1300
I hope someone can help a newbie. I just purchased my ST an it did not come with an owner's manual. I do experience some wobble at speeds above 80. I'm 250 lbs and I do not know which direction you guys are talking about when you say raising the preload. Which way do I turn the knob? Can anyone refer me to setting the rebound and preload?

Thanks in advance.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
I hope someone can help a newbie. I just purchased my ST an it did not come with an owner's manual. I do experience some wobble at speeds above 80. I'm 250 lbs and I do not know which direction you guys are talking about when you say raising the preload. Which way do I turn the knob? Can anyone refer me to setting the rebound and preload?

Thanks in advance.

Pretty sure it's clockwise.

<D>

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
+1 turn the knob clockwise until you get the rear sag between fully extended and fully weighted under riding conditions, between 1.25 - 1.50". Make sure the tire pressures are up to 42 PSI at both ends too.

Last edited:

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Me too, me too! Early on when I got the bike and hit the triple digit zone I felt some wobble as well. As Byron reports, I too have felt much greater stability - no wobble - with the preload cranked up.

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
One thing nobody has mentioned is handle bars. lots of guys raise there bars for comfort,well guess what? Your taking some weight off the front end by doing this . Just another piece of the overall issue! :slv13: Robert-07-ST

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300

Thanks in advance.
Adjust: Raising = clockwise to move the knob toward "high" (may be a different label on PAN-Am so twisting toward bike). It "clicks" each full revolution. The other adjustment is a small screww access I've not plyed with. More info will drop in from the next posts :D

Tyres: Of note, some may recall I fitted BT021 rear, which sent Shadowfax all, "squirrelly" at any speed. Raising the adjustment +4 clicks and tyre rear pressure to 44psi improved things dramatically. (Only this BT021 for me).

Wind direction: Generally riding South or East in the evenings Shadowfax is less stable at speed than riding him North or West in the mornings, and I get buffetted helmet syndrome more in the evenings, too. I wonder if cutting across the preveiling wind makes the ST's dynamics subtley more discernable?

Top Bottom