Fuel leak-Carb Newbie has questions

Bike
1993 ST1100
Hi all,
I recently started a ReSTore of my beloved 93 11 w'89K.It has sat much of the last 4 seasons with the alternator going south.I would start it every month or so and take it for a local, quick ride a few times a year to keep fuel burnt moving through the system.
Competent home mechanic,uh,... carbs ,not so much.Always had them synced by garage when serviced.Now all my bikes have FI.
I had a fuel leak from the top/front area of the carbs,pretty high flow.Couldnt see it with mirror/light.
Pulled carbs,had a few cracked hoses so replaced them and removed float covers.Had crud in there,cleaned out and re-assembled.Couldn't identify exactly what was causing the leak.One float wasnt as springy as the others.Ive read hear that a stuck float needle could cause fuel to back-flow.Is that correct?
I replaced fuel filter and boots .Started up no problem but have a lesser leak from the rear now.Put Seafoam in it,let it sit for a while and ran it up and down my private dirt road,stopped and it wasnt leaking.I'll let the SF sit overnight and start her up tomorrow,to see what's happening.
Now that Ive removed them it wont be a big deal to pull again,if I have to replace gaskets/o-rings/clean jets.If the SF clears the possible blockage, I probably wont,but want to get opinions in case I have to.
Thoughts?
Thanks
Michael

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Its possible the bowl gasket is bad. Can't think of another spot "high" around the bowl where it might leak... but then again, I'm just casually familiar with the carbs and not the best expert.

OP
OP
mznyc
Bike
1993 ST1100
Thanks Vinny
The original leak was coming from somewhere under the snorkles in the front.
Are those 2 hoses that meet and point down at an angle overflow tubes?

OP
OP
mznyc
Bike
1993 ST1100
Let Sea Foam sit overnight and no leaks after starting a couple times.I'll put in some fresh gas and let her sit over the weekend ,if she holds ,Im putting the plastic back on and call it fixed.

OP
OP
mznyc
Bike
1993 ST1100
Got it back together and she's holding tight,but wont hold idle without choke.Ran fine before sitting for the last year or so,so I guess I'll have to do a tear down.Assuming its clogged jets.

Bike
83 VF1100C
Also clean the pilot jets. They meter the slow jets and are subject to plugging up too.

Top Bottom