Fuel Range??

Samo here, 280 commuting, 300-320 touring....ain't it sweet!

Your range is inversely proportional to how hard you twist the go handle. It also has a lot to do with how much weight and wind resistance you're presenting. I've gotten as little as 26 mpg and as much as 56 miles/gal on ST1100's.

This past Friday light started blinking at around 300 miles, stopped to fuel it up at 318 miles on the bike odometer, took 6.4 gallons to the neck, first time I have had the blinking light on, said I had 60 miles to go on the display 1.1 gallons on the display also as I thumbed through them. :biker:

This question has come around a lot but I'll take another approach to looking at this just because I have some time to waste this morning. ;)

You'll find that range is highly subject to a lot of factors but I've been trying to calculate this over the past year. I keep my gas receipts and calculate my MPG, then see the difference between what the bike said and calculate that error just for reference. I fill on the center stand. My MPG is average for this area but I see people in southern states seem to get better fuel mileage but elevation, riding style, octane, bike condition, weight, windshield position, etc. all add into this.

So for a quick answer here are my stats on MPG and Range:
Gas Mileage (based on 7.2 gallons useable fuel):
212.7 Average Miles Between Fill Ups
MPG (avg/min/max) 42.89/35.38/59.94
Estimate Range on MPG stats (avg/min/max) 288.2/249.1/365.8

Now here's a ramble on why I use 7.2 and a theory on how I came to this conclusion. So if you're really bored read on.

I use 7.2 gallons as a full tank of useable fuel instead of 7.66 like the manual says which is capacity and not all of that is useable due to parts in the tank and the fact that the fuel pump does not sit on the bottom of the tank. The reason for using 7.2 is that's seem to be the amount of fuel I could put in on a completely empty tank (I had this happen 3 times). I've seen 7.3 and 7.4 in other posts but do you really want to depend on having .1 or .2 gallons carry you to the next gas stop? So I'll say at 7.2 to be a little conservative because I don't feel like running out anymore... it's bad for the pump). Also 7.2 makes the math easier because there are 8 ticks on the gas gauge so you can figure that each tick is worth .9 gallons (.9 * 8 = 7.2). Now you're assuming this whole fuel system is linear and for the upper tank float it seems to be. But then it's a matter of where the thermistor in the lower tank is positioned that will determine how much gas you have left in the lower tank when the guage goes to one tick mark. Now the manual says when you have 1 tick mark you have 1.32 gallons of gas left in the lower tank. If you take 1.32 - (7.66-7.20) = .86, so round it a hair, and call it .9. So now you have the information I'm basing my theory off of. Each tick mark is worth .9 gallons including the last one.

Now granted I can't make this work from the gauge readings which means all this could be a lot of hot air but I've run out of gas when the gauge says as high as 28 miles left to go on the tank but as low as about 17 miles. Now the owners manual on page 26 under Remaining Fuel says that the guage will read "--" when there is less than .53 gallons of fuel left. I've never seen it says that but then again I wasn't watching. Now how would it even know this. Well my guess is that it is strictly by calculation because after the thermistor there is no sensor that is going to tell the bike this. It seems odd though that they even mention this in the book unless there's some limitation of the system that it won't calculate below that amount. So I'm not sure what significance this measurement holds but you might want to say that 7.66 - .53 = 7.13. Hmmm, seems like that's about the time I run out of fuel (~7.2 gallons). Interesting. Maybe the "--" is indicated when the fuel pump isn't sucking in any fuel. Now that's just crazy talk. ;)

So what would be interesting is can we use the gauge as a way to try and prove my theory also that 7.2 is the amount of useable fuel and there's .9 gallons of useable fuel left when it goes to one tick on the fuel gauge. Maybe it's closer to 1.32 - .53 = .79.

So let's use that to start off with some real stats I've collected for commuting which is a good estimate for this since I ran out of fuel while commuting. Now there's error in this also that the bike reads about 39.5 but actual is around 42.6 (average offset from bike to real world MPG is 2.9). I took MPG readings from receipts where all I did was commute. I think at this point it's important to keep real world results and what the bike reads seperate because at the end of this I think we'll have to take both into account to try and see if the results match up meaning if the bike is calculating off of 1.32 gallons and it's calculate average MPG does this match to my real world stats of where I'm running out of fuel since the computer is using 1.32 gallons which I'm assuming only 1.32 - .53 = .79 of is actually useable (major leap alert here).

Now the matter comes in of what does the computer say for estimated range when the gauge goes to one tick mark. I know for me it's always been in the 50's. Typically between 51 and 57. Now take the books fuel left 1.32 and multiply it by the gauges average mpg 39.5, you'll get 52.14 which is right about where my gauge reads but I know for a fact I've never been able to run 52.14 miles on what's left in the tank in any of the three times that I've run out of gas. The gauge also only does integers so we could say it's 52 for the rest of this. Now try to calcuate miles left from what we have gathered so far. (1.32 - .53 gallons) * 42.6 mpg is 33.65 miles using real world stats and .9 * 42.6 = 38.34 miles if I'm using my previous theory that there's .9 gallons left at the one tick mark, a difference of 4.69 miles because we're only talking .11 gallons of fuel difference so my theory might not be too far from the truth.

So what is the computer going to read when I'm about to run out of gas if it's using calculated values since the bike won't run on virtual gas. With 52 miles showing on the bike and a real world MPG of 42.6 with an actual fuel left of .79 to .9 the guage is going to show between (52 - 33.65) 18 and (52 - 38.34) 14. The problem with this is that the estimated miles left to go doesn't count down like an odometer. It is calculate periodically while you're riding. So the end result here that the estimated miles left to do is going to be probably higher than what I've calculated here. Again I've seen mine read somewhere from around 17 - 28. So there's still more data that would need to be collected to test this theory and most of the data centers around computer readings and real world data right when the gauge goes to one tick mark. Also I don't even want to think about the +2% error there is in the odometer versus actual mileage compared with a GPS but if the odometer is 2% off and the bike is calculating off of +2% error then that means you're going to run out when these numbers are slightly higher. It just just keeps getting messier as you go.

I'll probably stick with my .9 and an average range of 288 but I'll keep my fill ups around 240. MPG in the end is the calculation you need to estimate your range. All you can really do is calculate it yourself by saving receipts.

The end result is... YMMV :crackup

Yes, I had nothing better to do this morning. Thanks for giving me something to do. ;)

If you want some more reading on this just search for MPG and fuel and you'll find plenty more to read.

Curt

Last edited:
I've ran as far as 328 and also almost ran out at 215 once, but that was a lot of hard running through the canyons and blastic around town full throttle all the time. My average is usually in the 280 range.

George

Are US miles shorter than Imperial? :confused:

The best I've got was around 260 to the light and that was running in. Normal use is usually around 220-230, but did get it down to 185 once :eek:

To get anywhere near 300 I'd have to be riding about 50mph everywhere :( so I'd sell the Pan and get a 125.

Redeye said:

The best I've got was around 260 to the light and that was running in. Normal use is usually around 220-230, but did get it down to 185 once :eek:

To get anywhere near 300 I'd have to be riding about 50mph everywhere :( so I'd sell the Pan and get a 125.

I'm not much better than what you're describing.

Curt

For mine, at 5,000ft elevation +/- 1,000ft I find my maximum milage to be while travelling at a very steady 65mph. I don't run this slow often, but when I'm on a group ride with my CMA chapter that is the speed we travel and I have been amazed at the milage I can get if I just follow someone slower than me.

George

Does anyone besides me seem to be getting lower MPG since the hurricane and associated gas price increase? I'm getting 2-3 MPG less, but it may be that I'm using the cycle more spiritedly to "get my moneys worth".

Redeye said:

Miles are 5,280 feet per, anywhere this quaint method of measurement is still employed.

An Imperial gallon has 8 pints, just as a US gallon has 8 pints. However, Imperial pints are 20 fluid ounces vs. 16 fluid ounces for US pints. (That, my friends, is why you want to drink beer in England.)

In round numbers, an Imperial gallon is 160 fluid ounces, a US gallon 128 fluid ounces.

Did 800 miles on Labor Day weekend, two up, and I'm pretty sure that mama had the kitchen sink in the luggage somwhere. Mostly flat roads and averaged 49.5 MPG. 310 was the furtherest on a tank.

Hi Redeye. I get about 280 before the light comes on cruising up & down the m-way at (an alleged) 90 so can easily reach 300 before the refill. This will drop if I use the bike around town a lot (I dont do this much), but it seems to drop to about 260 at the worst before the light comes on. I should add that my MPG has increased a lot since the mileage went up. After 10k it seemed to really free up the engine (I also switch to fully synth at 16k). I find even at high speed I can get over 11miles per ltr. though this drops a lot at slower speeds around town. :03biker:

I carry the same bottle in my saddlebag but I put gas in it and a little Stabil. I knew that I ran the risk of it venting in the bag but it didn't UNTIL I got stuck on the interstate in stop and go traffic for over an hour in 105 degree weather.

Luckily it just vented through the o-ring and small vent hole. I took out the bottle when I got home and let the bag air out. The smell is now completely gone.

I would really like to figure out a way to put a mount under the tail section for it. I can carry a pump but I wouldn't mind having some in the bottle to begin with if I can make a solid mount that doesn't look like some redneck aux tank.

Curt

Last edited:
halfwing said:
---snip

This is the second time this beast has done that too me. At least the first time I was pushing the envelope when it quit counting miles and started showing bars. But this time it was still showing 17 miles when it quit.

Not only am I now setting my fuel stop at 200 miles
----snip

John!

Were you running with the squids again? Doing wheelies and carving up the CA foothills? :D

How many miles did you have on the tank this time before you hit the bitter end? (What did you get for mpg on the tank?)

Mark

I was thinking, "Wow, carry a pistol, stop a cager, and steal a full tank of gas." Then I figured you'd have to keep a list of all the cars that burned Premium and wait for one those to come along...

Fred :03biker:

I was traveling east on I 80 in Wyoming with a slight tail wind at about 70mph and traveled 287 before stopping for gas. Also, I was "drafting" behind trucks and traveling with my windshield in the down position.
Tony

Back
Top Bottom