Fuel Stabilizer - check out the FortNine vid.

Bike
ST1100(s), Nortons,
Yet another FortNine video recommendation.

Old gas has been an issue for me and my old company, which dealt with outdoor power equipment, for some 20 years. Fuel injected bikes in short term storage do not suffer as such from ethanol related fuel issues and even the ST11 does not, probably due to the sealed fuel system, but I, like many others out there, have a variety of carburetted bikes and fuel ageing is a major issue.
This FortNine production does a good job explaining what the so called additives do. Only talking about short term fuel deterioration here, say 6 months, in respect to ethanol damage, but even modern non ethanol treated gas can go rotten it justs takes longer to get to that stage.
Having tried out most available products on the market over the years we came to the conclusion that non ethanol gas is the best bet if available for short term storage and no gas at all is best for long term.
Testing your gas for ethanol is a simple process you just needs a clear parallel sided container, ie a test tube and search the net for how to mark the tube. It is surprising to see what fuel contains and does not contain ethanol.
That's my bit.

Andy

Bike
2000 ST1100
I don't worry about it. 4 ounces of red stabil in a full tank of gas when i put it away. Springtime I fire it up and i'm good to go.

OP
OP
kerbside
Bike
ST1100(s), Nortons,
We tried Sta-bil ourselves for a year or two but as FortNine found it corrodes steel when mixed with ethanol fuel and air!

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
These days, the bikes don‘t sit like they used to during the winter, when I lived in NJ and the 94 would sometimes sit for several months at the vacation townhome in SC. If I suspect they will sit for a while, I just make sure the tank is full to avoid the fuel oxidation/aging, and I use ethanol free if I can find it (in SC, it’s pretty common to find at Marathon gas stations). I have Stabil available but don’t use it too much these days.

One time several years ago, my brother let his VMax sit a year without use, but he filled the tank and used Regane fuel treatment before it sat...fired right up when he used it again.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Yet another FortNine video recommendation.

Having tried out most available products on the market over the years we came to the conclusion that non ethanol gas is the best bet if available for short term storage and no gas at all is best for long term.

Andy
Interesting, thanks. Was just about to get ethanol free gas (pump 40 mile away). Are you saying it is worthwhile to still test it, just to make sure?

OP
OP
kerbside
Bike
ST1100(s), Nortons,
Are you saying it is worthwhile to still test it, just to make sure?
I now check different batches just for interest. But I think that " ethanol free" is probably what it purports to be.
In my part of the world generally I've not seen ethanol in any high octane, 91 or 94, from the major retailers. Pumps only say "may contain ethanol".

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I haven’t seen ethanol free near me for awhile, except hardwares stores in $20 gallon cans.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
To my knowledge, as well as the answer from the gas stations, is that "supreme" fuel does not contain any ethanol. There are still some gas stations that don't have ethanol in any grade like my local Petro Can.
I like and use seafoam often for maintaining and for storage far so good.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Hmm, why do I have a sense of deja vu on this thread.

Anyway, I start filling up with Shell non ethanol premium in mid September as my riding schedule and weather in the fall are often unknowns. By storage time, usually mid to end of November, I've got a tank of good gas and then I add Stabil and run the bike to ensure it gets into the carbs as part of the final warm up process before a pre-storage oil change. Been doing this for many years, never any issues with bad gas or gummed up carbs. Throughout the year I only use Shell premium with added Stabil for all small engines kicking around (mowers, weed wackers, blowers, snowblowers etc...) and, again, never any carb issues.

I'm beginning to think that non ethanol gas may be more important than using a stabilizer, but I'm going continue to use Stabil as it costs me about $10 a year and it's dirt cheap insurance.

Top Bottom