Fuel Starvation, Vapor Lock, Weak Fuel Pump?

Bike
'94 ST1100
Everything about my problems of late indicate to me fuel starvation.

I've bypassed the vacuum-based, fuel auto-shutoff, and replaced the fuel filter with OEM.

I tested my fuel pump, but may have been inaccurate. If so, I suspect I had not less than 400cc/min, as opposed to the 640cc/min in the manual. I will test again tomorrow.

As a general advisory to me, from anyone who can help, is it reasonable that a dying fuel pump would manifest as progressively frequent vapor lock incidents (though I have no altitude or temperature issues (San Diego CA))?

Last edited:
OP
OP
HelmetHead
Bike
'94 ST1100
And, no, bdalameda, I haven't missed your advice 'round these parts...I was just hoping you were a little quick on the draw...that said, I"m succumbing...

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
When the symptoms show up, have you opened the gas cap to find if the problem immediately goes away? Does the tank suck in air when you unseal the gas cap?

OP
OP
HelmetHead
Bike
'94 ST1100
When the symptoms show up, have you opened the gas cap to find if the problem immediately goes away? Does the tank suck in air when you unseal the gas cap?
I have been doing the gas-cap-open exercise thoughout the troubles of the last week or two. It definitely almost always whooshes, with obvious minimization when the tank's full.

My focus on vapor lock is mostly rooted in having for a while (10 - 15 starts, or so) had a roadside solution, of pulling the carbs' gas intake hose off the fuel filter (vacuum bypassed). Now, even that isn't working.

I'm thinking I'll probably go the route of installing the well-recommended Facet 40178, but I'm giving that project a few more days to ripen.

I'm certainly open to all suggestion, as well as any pontificating on issue of whether a dying fuel pump might be disguised as post-carbs' gas intake situated vapor lock...

Top Bottom